Agricultural Research Institutes in India
Agriculture has always been a sought after career among students. Many of them also continue with the research work in agriculture. This page gives us information on various Agricultural Research Institutes in India.
- Central Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair CARI is mandated to provide a research base to improve the productivity of important agri-horticulture, livestock and fisheries of Andaman and Nicobar Islands through adaptive and basic research for attaining economic self-sufficiency.
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur, Rajasthan A unique multidisciplinary research organization in South and South-East Asia having research facilities for over 30 different disciplines.
- Central Avian Research Institute, Izatnagar, Uttar Pradesh A premier institute in the field of poultry research, education, extension and training in India.
- Central Inland Fishries Research Institute, Barrackpore, West Bengal The oldest premier research institution in the field of inland fisheries research and training in India.
- Central Institute for Cotton Research, Nagpur, Maharashtra Its mission is to Improve production, productivity and quality of cotton through the development of ecologies for different agroclimatic regions.
- Central Institute for Research on Goats, Farah, Uttar Pradesh A pioneer institute dedicated to the development of goats in india.
- Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra An Instituite engaged in research and development activities in cotton technology in India.
- Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh It aims to develop appropriate equipment and processes for modernization of agriculture utilizing animate and mechanical power sources, develop technology for reducing post harvest losses and add value to agro-produce through processing.
- Central Institute for Arid Horticulture, Bikaner, Rajasthan Its mandate is to conduct mission oriented research for improvement in productivity of horticultural crops and development of horticulture based cropping system under arid environment; and to act as a repository of information related to arid horticulture.
- Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes, Hissar, Haryana The Institute carries out research on various aspects of buffalo improvement including conservation of germplasm, development of optimum diets and feeding systems, enhancement of reproductive efficiency and health management practices for augmenting milk, meat and draught.
- Central Institute of Brakishwater Aquaculture, Chennai, Tamilnadu Mandated to conduct research for development of techno-economically viable and sustainable culture system for fin fish and shellfish in brakish water.
- Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneswar, Orissa Premier Research Institute on Freshwater Aquaculture in India.
- Central Institute for Fisheries Education, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab A nodal institute for lead researches in the area of post harvest engineering and technology appropriate to the agricultural production catchments, agro-processing industries, pilot plants, industrial liaison, technology transfer and national and international cooperation to meet national needs.
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochin, Kerala The Premier Research Institute dedicated to Marine Fisheries Research.
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasaragod, Kerala Mandated to develop appropriate production, protection and processing technologies for coconut, arecanut and cocoa through basic and applied research.
- Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh Mandated to undertake basic and strategic research for developing technologies to enhance productivity and utilisation of potato in India.
- Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fiber, Barrackpore, West Bengal Mandated to the Improvement of jute (C.Capsularis and C.olitorius) and allied fibre crops like mesta (H.Cannabinus and H.Sabdariffa), sunnhemp, (Crotalaria Juncea), ramie (Boehmeria nivea) sisal (Agave sisalana) and flax (Linum usitatissimum) for yield and quality.
- Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Orissa Its main objective is to carry out research on basic and applied aspects in all disciplines of rice culture in order to devise ways and means of optimising hectare yields of rice.
- Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana Its mission is to generate new knowledge and understanding of the processes of reclamation and develop technologies for improving and sustaining the productivity of salty lands and waters.
- Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala Mandated to undertake basic, strategic and applied research for generating technologies to enhance productivity and utilization potential of tuber crops (other than potato).
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) is the country's premier national Institute for agricultural research, education and extension. It has served the cause of science and society with distinction through first rate research, generation of appropriate technologies and development of human resources.
- Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute New Delhi The Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute aims to promote and conduct research and education / training in Agricultural Statistics and Computer Applications and to advise, liaise with other Institutes who have a stake in strengthening of agricultural statistics system.
- ICAR Research Complex For Goa, Ela Old, Goa Mandated to conduct strategic and applied research on potential Agricultural and Horticultural crops, Livestock and Fisheries for improving productivity and post harvest management
- Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Gwalior, Jhansi The Institute is mandated to organized research work on grassland and forages and during last four decades have achieved several commendable breakthroughs.
- Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore, Karnataka Mandated to undertake basic and applied research for developing strategies to enhance Productivity and utilisation of tropical and subtropical horticultural crops viz., fruits, vegetables, ornamental, medicinal and aromatic and mushrooms.
- Indian Instritute of Soil Science , Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh In view of the fast changing scenario of Indian agriculture, and the growing importance of enhancing and sustaining productivity of soil resource, the ICAR established the Indian Institute of Soil Science in 1988 at Bhopal to conduct basic and strategic research on this aspect.
- Indian Institute of Spices Research, Calicut, Kerala The Indian Institute of Spices Research (IISR), Calicut a constituent body of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is a major Institute devoted to research on spices.
- Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh It was established in 1952 for conducting research on fundamental and applied aspects of sugarcane culture as well as to co-ordinate the research work done on this crop in different States of the country.
- Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh The project has been envisaged as a national network of multidisciplinary research on the improvement of the major vegetable crops.
- Indian Lac Research Institute, Namkum, Ranchi The only research Institute of its kind in the world, being devoted exclusively to all aspects of lac research including its cultivation, processing, value addition and utilisation.
- National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bangalore, Karnataka
- National Institute for Research on Jute & Allied Fibres Technology, West Bengal (formerly JTRL)
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu A pioneering breeding institute in the world, works to evolve superior varieties of sugarcane to cater to the needs of the various agro climatic zones in the country.
- Vivekanand Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan, Almora, Uttaranchal It is a premier institute of ICAR engaged in hill agricultural research for North-Western Himalayan region of India.
- National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources, Karnal, Haryana It is responsible for identification, evaluation, characterisation, conservation and utilisation of livestock and poultry genetic resources in India.
- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Mandated to collection, classification and evaluation of information on fish genetic resources of the country.
- National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi It is the nodal organization in India for exchange, quarantine, collection, conservation, evaluation and the systematic documentation of plant genetic resources.
- National Bureau of Soil Survey & Land Use Planning, Nagpur, Maharashtra It was setup in 1976 with a mandate to provide a research input in the soil survey activities of the country and also carryout soil resource mapping programs at national, state and district level for land use planning.
- National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Microorganisms, Distt. Mau, Uttar Pradesh The NBAIM has been established under the auspices of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) with the basic aim to promote and co-ordinate systematic scientific studies in agriculturally important microorganisms (AIMs) in order to improve the agricultural productivity.
National Research Centres
- National Centre for Agril Economics & Policy Research, New Delhi Conducts Policy oriented research and strengthens agricultural economics research and teaching capability in state agricultural universities and ICAR institutes.
- National Research Centre for Agroforestry, Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh Mandated to undertake basic and applied research for developing and delivering technologies based on sustainable agroforestry prctices on farms, marginal and wastelands for different agroclimatic zones in India.
- National Research Centre for Cachew, Puttur, Karnataka Mandated to increase production and productivity of cashew by evolvolving high yielding varieties of cashew.
- National Research Centre on Camel, Bikaner, Rajasthan Mandated to undertake basic and applied research for improvement of camels.
- National Research Centre for Coldwater Fisheries, Bhimtal, Uttaranchal It is emerging as the nodal facility in the country where research investigations are under taken both on capture and culture aspects with a focus on exotic and Coldwater species.
- National Research Centre on Equines, Hissar, Haryana A premier institute established under the aegis of Indian Council of Agricultural Research for conducting research on equine health and production.
- National Research Centre for Grapes, Pune, Maharashtra A premier Research Centre established to undertake mission oriented programme involving basic and strategic research for resolving the major biotic and abiotic constraints affecting the production and productivity of grapes.
- National Research Centre for Integrated Pest Management, New Delhi Through the partnerships, NCIPM plans and conducts eco-friendly IPM research and development programmes which are essentially required for sustainable agriculture and environmental security.
- National Research Centre for Medicinal & Aromatic Plants, Boriavi, Gujarat Its mandate is to develop appropriate production, protection and processing technologies for important medicinal and aromatic plants through basic, strategic and applied research.
- National Research Centre for Mushroom, Solan, Himachal Pradesh
- National Research Centre for Onion and Garlic, Rajgurunagar, Pune, Maharashtra National Research Centre for Onion and Garlic is a research centre of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE).
- National Research Centre for Orchid, Pakyong, Sikkim For resolving major constraints in production of orchids and other bulbous ornamentals in major growing belt, the centre has mission mode approach.
- National Research Centre on Seed Spices, Ajmer Established during IXth five year plan to initiate research work on seed spices especially aimed at improving the productivity and quality with reference to export value and domestic demand.
- National Research Centre for Sorghum, Hyderabad established on 16 November, 1987 is the nodal agency in the country dealing with all aspects of sorghum research, development including coordination and consultancy. NRCS works closely with many other sister institutions of ICAR, State Agricultural Universities and national and international agencies and institutions both in public and private sector.
- National Research Centre for Soybean, Madhya Pradesh Established during the year 1987 for the needed centralised research to support soybean production systems research with basic technology and breeding material.
- National Research Centre for Weed Science, Madhya Pradesh Mandated to undertake basic and applied research for developing strategies for efficient weed management in different agro-ecological zones
- National Research Centre for Yak, Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh Mandated to conduct research on improvement of yak and its products through selection and breeding with exotic frozen semen and crossbreeding programme with BOS species.
- Project Directorate of Biological Control, Bangalore
- Project Directorate on Cattle, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh Established by Indian Council of Agricultural Research for genetic improvement of the cattle and to enhance the milk yield of the country
- Project Directorate of Cropping System Research, Modipuram, Uttar Pradesh Mandated to strengthen all aspects of research in cropping/ farming systems.
- Project Directorate of Oilseed Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad The Directorate of Oilseed research is engaged in basic and strategic research in three oilseed crops viz. castor, sunflower and safflower.
- Project Directorate of Poultry, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Primarily, the Directorate aims at developing superior germplasm of chicken with high potential for egg and meat production, through an organised network of centres under an All India Coordinated Research projects (AICRP’s) located in different State Agricultural Universities and at an ICAR institute.
- Project Directorate of Rice Research, Hyderabad Directorate of Rice Research (DRR), formerly All India coordinated Rice Improvement Project (AICRIP), was established in 1965 to organize and coordinate multi-location testing of genetic lines and technologies for crop production and protection generated across the country.
- Water Technology Centre for Eastern Region, Bhubaneswar, Orissa It is a poineer research institute in the area of sustainable water management under Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). The goal of WTCER is to develop and transfer improved water management technologies for sustainable agricultural production in the eastern region.
Other Agricultural Centres
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra - Babhaleshwar, Maharashtra An Agricultural Extension project funded by ICAR for dissemination of technology, refinement and assessment of the available packages to suit the local environment.
- All India Coordinated Project of Micro and Secondary Nutrients and Pollutant Elements in Soils & Plants Its mission is Soil fertility management through balanced use of micro- and secondary- nutrients for enhancing and sustaining high crop productivity of soil resource with minimal environmental pollution.
|Application Forms Now Available|
|Application Forms Now Available|