Study Tips for AIIMS MBBS Exam
The entrance examination for the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi and six new AIIMS-like institutions located in Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Rishikesh, Raipur and Bhubaneswar will be held on 28 May, 2017 in two shifts (see Exam Schedule for details.) The exam tests for admission to Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) courses. Exam centres are available in major cities in India.
Qualifying marks in AIIMS entrance
Preparation for the test begins right after the class 10 examination. AIIMS demands minimum 50 percent marks in qualifying examination (10+2) if you belong to SC/ST category candidates. For general category candidates this limit is 60 percent. This is the stage at which many candidates are eliminated. Concentrate on your boards and achieve good grades to be eligible for the application.
For those who are eligible to apply for the exam, securing minimum cutoff marks is second hurdle. AIIMS requires minimum cutoff marks of 50 percent for general category, 45 percent for OBC category and 40 percent for SC/ST category candidates. Achieving the minimum percentage in the AIIMS MBBS Exam is necessary to secure minimum cutoff marks in all subjects.
Sections of the test are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and General Knowledge. The questions are generally at the 12th standard level.
The exam tests the candidates abilities in two aspects:
|Application Forms Now Available|
- What you have studied up to class 12
- If you can complete course work in medical sciences
Exam preparation tips
Smart study is the way to prepare - hours and hours of study aren't useful if they are unfocused or badly planned. Here are some preparation tips for the AIIMS MBBS entrance exam:
- Be thorough with the basics in physics, chemistry and biology of your class 11 and 12 board syllabus. Questions are asked from all the sections of the class 12 board - physics, chemistry and biology.
- If you are from a non-math subject at the 10+2 level, revise important formulae and have a good grasp of high school standard mathematics. Understanding of common terminology is a must.
- Concentration during the exam is important. Learn more about tips to improve your concentration.
- Revise and re-revise. At least 3-4 revisions are a must before you start taking mock tests.
- Take mock tests (of the same three and a half hour length) one month prior to the test.
- Buy objective books and practice answering questions. Attempt questions one by one and when you are finished, correct your responses.
- Evaluate how many questions you marked incorrectly. Identify problem topics and revise before proceeding to the next chapter or next section.
- Test yourself on individual topics. Once you feel you are doing well in a given topic, obtain a sample test for the subject. Evaluate your performance, and continue revising if needed.
- Many candidates use coaching centers or private tutors to prepare. You may choose to do so, but before choosing one, identify your needs.
- Do not buy too many books. It's better to read one book 10 times than read 10 books one time.
- Sample test questions will give you a feel for what the test looks like. Make sure to go through these before test day.
- Stop reading new fundamentals just before the exam. One month before the exam, concentrate on taking mock tests and revise what you have studied.
- Do not study the day before the test. What you have studied until then is enough. Do not think at all. Relax, go for a walk, sleep or listen to music. Recharge your energy for the next day.
- Reach your examination center at least 30-40 minutes in advance to avoid any last minute hassle.
- Have a light snack before leaving for the examination center. This is a must to keep you energized during exam. Keep a water bottle with you during the exam, this will not only help with thirst, but help you to maintain a cool temperament during the examination.
Ask a question about this and other upcoming tests.
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Entrance Exam Important Dates
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Entrance Exam Application Form
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Entrance Exam Pattern
- AIIMS MBBS Entrance Exam Question Papers
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Entrance Exam Books
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Entrance Exam Study Techniques
- AIIMS MBBS 2017 Eligibility Criteria