About AIIMS, Hospitals, Exams, Faculty, Admissions
|Application Forms Now Available|
The first prime minister of Independent India, Jawaharlal Nehru always dreamt of creating a country full of scientific culture. He always had the desire to have maximum scientific growth in the country by building up various temples of modern India with a flavor of science in it. And his dream soon transformed into a reality immediately after independence when he prepared a grand design to achieve it. Among all the temples of modern India which he designed, there was a center of excellence in the medical sciences. Nehru's dream was to come up with such a center which would set the pace for medical education and research in the Southeast Asia, and in this he had the wholehearted support of the then Health Minister, Rajkumari Amrit Kaur.
The dreams of Nehru and Amrit Kaur finally became true in the year 1956 when the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, popularly known as AIIMS, was established as an institution of national importance by an Act of Parliament. The prime objective of AIIMS is to develop the pattern of teaching in both Undergraduate and Post-graduate Medical Education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of healthcare education in India. It aims at to bring together in one place the educational facilities of the highest order for the training of the personnel in all important branches of the health activity. The Institute has comprehensive facilities for teaching, research and patient-care.
AIIMS has been consistently ranked the Top Medical College in India to pursue an MBBS degree. It has held the top slot for the last six years in a row, and has been ranked first for 11 out of the 12 years. Several factors like a small class size, research exposure, excellent library facilities, liberal clinically oriented teaching and the ability to set its own curriculum plays a great and significant role in AIIMS' consistent overall excellence.
- To come up with a pattern of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
- To become an institute of self sufficiency in medical education.
- Emphasis on innovations in education.
- Producing medical teachers for the country.
- UG and PG teaching in medical and related physical biological sciences.
- Research in medical and related sciences.
- Nursing and dental education.
- Community based teaching and research.
- Health Care facilities.
- AIIMS has India's first and only minimally invasive surgery training center, under collaboration with Germany.
- AIIMS is the first Indian center to perform a successful cardiac transplant. The surgery was performed by Dr. P. Venugopal, the ex director of AIIMS in 1994.
- AIIMS is a leader in Stem Cell therapy, especially Cardiac and Neurological.
- It is a pioneer of robotic surgeries in India, particularly the Da Vinci system for urology, and robotic CTVS.
AIIMS Hospital Services
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) strives to provide a high quality and comprehensive tertiary care services including specialty and super-specialty services to all without consideration of caste, creed, religion, sex, economic status or disability.
Speciality centers at AIIMS
There is a separate cardiothoracic and neurosciences center (CNC) offering super speciality level patient care, training and research in the respective fields.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, specializes in medical, radiation and surgical oncology.
- Jai Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Centre is India's first full-fledged center to treat victims of trauma. It is located about 1 KM west from the main campus.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences is a 300 bed ophthalmic (eyes) speciality center designated as the apex eye referral center for India, and is the WHO collaborating center for ophthalmic programs.
- CDER, the Centre for Dental Education and Research, located adjacent to the Hostels, is AIIMS' newest speciality center.
AIIMS also runs the National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre at Ghaziabad, one of Delhi's suburbs. The Centre for Community Medicine at AIIMS maintains a teaching and treatment facility at Ballabgarh, which is a periurban area outside Delhi; it also provides comprehensive services to a population of 84000. Faculty members from AIIMS are posted there by rotation.
AIIMS has a good number of departments offering various courses and medical services. Given below is the list of the variety of departments offered by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- College of Nursing
- Surgical Disciplines
For a complete list of AIIMS Departments, Click here.
AIIMS Notable Faculty and Alumni
AIIMS can boast of some notable faculty members and alumni. The list given below will help you to know about some notable faculty and alumni of the All India Institute of Medical Science, Delhi.
Prof. Ramesh C. Deka: Current Director, AIIMS
Dr. Rani Kumar: Dean
Dr. Sunil Chumber: Sub-Dean (Acad.)
Dr. A.K. Dinda: Sub-Dean (Exam.)
Shri V.P. Gupta: Registrar
Shri B.K. Joshi: Asstt. Controller of Exam
Professor P. Venugopal: Padma Bhushan. Apart from being one of the longest-serving doctors at the institute, he is also credited with being the first Indian to perform a heart transplant.
Prof. A. S. Paintal: Internationally renowned Physiologist.
Dr Pankaj Jay Pasricha: Chief,Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology,Stanford School of Medicine.
Professor J. N. Pande: Former Head of Dept. of Medicine
Professor Emeritus Prakash Chandra: Padma Shri, B. C. Roy Awardee, founder editor of The Indian Journal of Orthopaedics; conceived the project of Centralised Services for Trauma and Accidents in Delhi, initiated undergraduate B.Sc. (Honours) courses in Human Biology and Nursing.
Dr Sudhir k Gupta: MNAMS,Additional Professor Forensic Medicine & Toxicology,Advisory member Asia Pacific Association of Medical Toxicology for Penang,Malaysia.
Professor V. Ramalingaswami: Former Director, Padma Vibhushan, first Director-General of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
Professor Samiran Nundy: Padma Shri, Former Head of Dept. of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Founder of The National Medical Journal of India
Prof. Suneeta Mittal: Eminent Surgeon, a compassionate teacher, pioneer in field of research and public health for the welfare of women. She is presently the HOD of Obstetrics & Gynecology, and Director in Charge WHO-CCR in Human Reproduction, and Chief of IVF Facility at AIIMS.
Dr. Anoop Misra: Director and Head, Department of Diabetes and Metabolism, Fortis Group of Hospitals, Padma Shri
Dr. Ramesh Kaul: Pulmonologist and Founding chairman of American Journal of Biomedical Research
Dr. A. K. Hemal: Padma Shri
Dr Bhagyashree S Chandra: Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School.
Recipients of SS Bhatnagar Award for medical research
Several present and former faculty members from AIIMS have won the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology. It is an award given by the CSIR and they are among India's most prestigious research awards.
B. K. Anand - Physiologist
V. Ramalingaswami - Pathologist
Pradeep Seth - Microbiologist, developed HIV vaccine
M. K. Bhan - Pediatrician, worked on diarrhea
Shashi Wadhwa - Neuroscientist
N. K. Mehra - Immunologist
Y. D. Sharma - Biotechnologist
S. K. Panda - Pathologist specializing in Viral Hepatitis
Ravinder Goswami - Endocrinologist with work on Hypocalcaemic disorders in India.
Dr. Indira Nath - Founder head of Biotechnology Department in AIIMS.
Dr.Anzal Fazil - founder of college Jn fans association college for average students at Kavalppura in Iravipuram district.
|Application Forms Now Available|