Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) Admissions 2013 Notification
Admission to Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) is not conducted through one main entrance exam. Depending on the program, you may need one of the following test scores to qualify:
- Common Admission Test (CAT)
- Departmental Admission Test (DAT): Held by the university
- Test for Lateral Entry (LET)
- Common Management Admission Test (CMAT)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
Other components, such as Group Discussion or Interview, may be required for certain courses.
|Application Forms Now Available|
CUSAT has a wide variety of courses available for the academic year 2013 to 2014. Types of programs are listed below. General program requirements (for example Bachelor of Technology, Master of Science or Master of Technology programs) are listed in other sections on this page.
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.)
- Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Laws (B.B.A. LL.B. Hons)
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws (B.Com.LL.B. Hons)
- Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.)
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- M.Sc. programs
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.) programs
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) programs
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs
Dual degree programs:
- Master of Intellectual Property (MIP)/Ph.D.
- LL.M. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)/ Ph.D.
Diploma/Certificate programs (part-time):
- Certificate courses
- Integrated Diploma
- Postgraduate (PG) Diploma
CUSAT Important Dates
The schedule for CAT/LET/DAT 2013 is listed below:
- Notification for CAT, LET and DAT: 10 January 2013
- Online registration for CAT, LET and PG programs, including MBA (CMAT required) and M.Tech: 2 February to 20 February 2013
- Online registration for international students: 2 February to 30 March 2013
- Sale and receipt of DAT applications from departments (M.Phil, Ph.D., Diploma programs): 14 January to 11 February 2013
- Online submission of CMAT score (MBA candidates): 15 March to 30 March 2013
- Online submission of GATE score (M.Tech. candidates): 15 March to 30 March 2013
- Admit card available for download online (B.Tech. and PG): 24 April to 12 May 2013
- Admit card available for download online (for LET to B.Tech.): 8 May to 19 May 2013
CUSAT Test Schedule
Tests for various subjects will be scheduled for the times listed as follows:
11 May 2013
- 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Test for undergraduate programs in engineering and technology (Math, Physics and Chemistry)
- 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Test for M.A. Applied Economics
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.:
- Aptitude test for B.B.A. L.L.B. (Hons)/ B.Com. LL.B (Hons)
- Test for M.A. Hindi
- Test for MIP/Ph.D. and LL.M./Ph.D.
12 May 2013
- 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Test for postgraduate programs Biotechnology, Botany, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electronics, Engineering Science, Fisheries, Food Science, Geology, Instrumentation, Law (LL.M.), Life Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology
- 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Aptitude test for M.C.A.
- 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Test for LL.B. (exam centre in Ernakulam/Kochi only)
19 May 2013
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Test for Lateral Entry to B.Tech. (exam centre in Ernakulam/Kochi only)
DAT dates for M.Tech. programs and Group Discussions/Interview for the MBA have not yet been announced by the respective departments and schools.
CUSAT Application Procedure
Eligibility varies according to the type of program, check CUSAT's notification for more information on specific program eligibility. Depending on the program, you may be required to fill out the application online: B.Tech. Lateral Entry, MBA, M.Tech., international candidates and CAT applicants should submit an online application.
The application fee for general category candidates is Rs. 950 and Rs. 425 for Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST) category. For applications under the NRI Quota, the fee is Rs. 5,950. Diploma and Certificate program fees are Rs. 100 for general category candidates and Rs. 50 for SC/ST.
Candidates applying through CAT must submit applications online.
CAT will be conducted throughout India for the five-year Integrated M.Sc. in Photonics and B.Tech. programs. The test will be conducted in Kerala only for all other programs except three-year L.L.B./Lateral entry programs. For these programs, the admission test will be held at the Ernakulam center.
You are required to appear for CAT if you are a prospective student for any of the following:
- B.Tech.:Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, Safety and Fire Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, Instrumentation Technology, Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture and Ship Building
- Five-year Integrated M.Sc. in Photonics
- Five-year B.Com. LL.B. (Hons)
- Five-year B.B.A. LL.B. (Hons)
The CAT is required for the following courses:
- Three-year LL.B.
- M.A. Hindi Language and Literature
- M.B.A.: Full-time, Part-time, Travel and Tourism, International Business
- M.A. Applied Economics
- M.Sc.: Applied Chemistry, Biopolymer Science, Biotechnology, Electronic Science, Environmental Technology, Food Science Seafood Safety and Trade, Hydrochemistry, Industrial Fisheries, Instrumentation, Marine Biology, Marine Geophysics, Mathematics, Meteorology, Oceanography, Physics and Statistics
Dual Degree programs
A Bachelor's Degree in Economics, History, Law, Political Science, Management or Science and Technology with 55 percent from a university in Kerala or other university exam accepted by the Syndicate as equivalent counts as rank in CAT.
A Bachelor's Degree in Law with 55 percent from any university in Kerala or other university exam accepted by the Syndicate as equivalent will count as obtained rank in CAT.
The university conducts DAT through various departments and schools. You must qualify in DAT for the following programs below.
Diploma/Certificate Program (Part-time)
- Certificate courses: French/German/Japanese/Russian
- Diploma: French/German/Japanese/Russian
- Integrated Diploma: French/German/Italian/Japanese Russian
- PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Laws
- PG Diploma in Translation and Functional Hindi
- PG Diploma Communicative English
- M.A. Translation (German/Russian)
- M.Phil. programs (Full-time): Applied Economics, Chemistry, Commerce, Fisheries Science, Hindi, Life Sciences, Physics, Marine Chemistry, Mathematics
- Ph.D. programs
Diploma, Certificate, M.A. Translation, M.Phil. and Ph.D. applicants do not need to submit an online application form. These candidates need to submit the printed application form, which is available from respective departments.
LET allows lateral entry to the third semester of the B.Tech. These B.Tech. programs are:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Information Technology
- Instrumentation Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Safety and Fire Engineering
Applicants should submit applications online.
Admission through CMAT is applicable to MBA applicants. These candidates should submit applications online. Admission is based on CMAT, Group Discussion and Interview. From this year forward, the CAT test for Management will not be required.
Admission to certain M.Tech. programs is conducted through valid GATE scores. You may apply without GATE, but consideration will only be given if GATE-qualified candidates are not available. If that arises, admission is based on DAT. Applicants must apply online.
- M.Tech.: Atmospheric Science, Computer Aided Structural Analysis and Design, Computer and Information Science, Software Engineering, Computer Science with Specialization in Embedded Systems, Electronics (with specialization in Digital Electronics, Microwave and Radar Electronics), Industrial Catalysis, Marine Biotechnology, Ocean Technology, Opto-Electronics and Laser Technology, Polymer Technology, Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering specialization, Mechanical Engineering with Thermal Engineering specialization, Part-time M.Tech. programs
Check with your prospective program for any further application details.