Admission to IIST's B. Tech Programs through JEE Main & JEE Advanced 2014
The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) Thiruvananthapuram is offering B. Tech programs for the academic session 2014-2015.
IIST is Asia's first space institute and the first in the world to offer a complete range of undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral programs with a specific focus of space science, technology and applications.
- IIST offers Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) programs in three branches. All these programs are four year undergraduate degree programs. The number of seats available for each stream are:
i) B. Tech in Aerospace Engineering: 60
ii) B. Tech in Avionics: 60
|Application Forms Now Available|
iii) B. Tech in Physical sciences: 36
- Candidates interested in joining these the programs must appear for the Joint Entrance Examination (Main) 2014 conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi, to qualify for the Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) 2014 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed category wise marks as follows-
i) General candidates (GEN): At least 20% marks in aggregate and at least 5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
ii) Other Backward Community - Non Creamy layer (OBC-NCL) candidates must have at least 18% marks in aggregate and 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects
iii) Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), and persons with Disability (PD) Candidates: at least 10% marks in aggregate and at least 2% marks in each of the three subjects.
- Detailed IIST B. Tech admission Brochure containing Application and Counselling procedures with important dates will be published in April, 2014.
- Web Portal for online registration will be opened in the month of May, 2014
The following criteria must be fulfilled by each candidate-
- The candidate must be a citizen of India
- The General candidates and OBC candidates must have been born on or after 1 October, 1989. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PD must have been born on or after 1 October, 1984. The date of birth as recorded in the High School, first Board or its equivalent Examination will be accepted.
- Candidates seeking admission to IIST should have passed their qualifying Examination with physics chemistry and mathematics (PCM) as subjects. Candidates in the GEN and OBC category must have at least 70% marks in PCM. Those belonging to SC, ST or PD must have an aggregate of 60% marks in PCM.
- The qualifying exam should be any of the following
i) The Final Examination should be of the 10+2 system as conducted by recognized boards like ICSE and CBSE.
ii) Intermediate or two year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized board
iii) Final examination of two year course of Joint Services wing of the National Defense Academy.
iv) Vocational Higher Secondary Examination
v) Senior secondary school examination with a minimum of five subjects from National Institute of Open Schooling.
vi) Any Public School, board or university examination in India
vii) General Certificate Education examination (London/Cambridge/ Sri Lanka)
viii) High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva
ix) In case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public examination at an earlier level.
Exam pattern and Syllabus
- IIST Admission rank list will be generated on the basis of rank in the All-India Rank List, including category rank, published by CBSE. CBSE prepares the All-India Rank List by giving 60% weighted to the JEE (Main) score and 40% weightage to the class 12th qualifying exam score.
- The Syllabus for Qualifying exam and JEE (main) is Higher secondary Syllabus of CBSE. To know more about the exam pattern of JEE (Main), visit the JEE (Main) 2014 Exam Pattern & Syllabus page.
To know more about the exam pattern of JEE (Advanced), visit the JEE (Advanced) 2014 Exam Pattern & Syllabus page.
Applications and Information Brochure will be available for downloading in the month of April 2014.
From academic year 2013-14 onwards, IIST would be offering financial help through the Department of Space (DOS), Government of India for deserving students admitted to B.Tech programme, every semester, to meet their expenses of education such as Tuition Fee, Students Amenity Fee, Hostel charges including dining, Establishment charges and Medical cover. An additional Book Allowance of Rs.3000 will also be provided to each student for every semester.
Career in ISRO/ DOS
Students who complete their B.Tech. with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.5 out of 10 stand a chance of getting absorbed into the ISRO or DOS centres. Students who are offered a job in ISRO/DOS have to mandatorily serve as Scientist/Engineer-'SC' in any of the ISRO/ DOS centres for a minimum period of 3 years. If absorbed, they will be posted as Scientist/Engineer-'SC' in any ISRO/DOS Centre. Currently, Scientist/Engineer-'SC' is placed with an initial pay of Rs. 21,000 (in the Pay Band PB-3 of Rs. 15,600-39,100 with a Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-) + Dearness Allowance & House Rent Allowance (as applicable).