NEST 2015 for admission to NISER, Bhubaneswar & UM-DAE CBS, Mumbai
NEST 2015 (National Entrance Screening Test) will be conducted on 30 May, 2015 from 9.30 am to 1 pm in 52 major towns/ cities all across India.
About NEST 2015
The National Entrance Screening Test or NEST is a compulsory test for admission to the 5 year Integrated M.Sc. programme in basic sciences - Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics being offered by:
|Application Forms Now Available|
- National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar
- University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy - Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS), Mumbai
Both NISER and CBS are autonomous institutions established by Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, in 2007.
NEST 2015 Important Dates
Start of Online / Offline application for NEST-2015
5 January, 2015
Last date for receiving request & DD for paper application form
19 February, 2015
Closing of Online / Offline application
7 March, 2015
Download of online admit cards / Dispatch of offline Admit Card begins
15 April, 2015
30 May, 2015 (Saturday, 9.30 am – 1 pm)
NEST 2015 Results (announced on website)
19 June, 2015
All the candidates admitted to this 5 year Integrated M.Sc. programme at NISER and CBS are eligible to apply for the DST INSPIRE fellowship of Rs. 5,000 per month and Rs. 20,000 per year for carrying out summer projects.
Apart from this, the top performers at NISER and CBS, who secure overall grades above certain threshold at the end of final semester, will be eligible to appear directly for the interview for admission to the BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) Training School.
NEST 2015 Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates seeking admission to NISER and UM-DAE CBS for the academic session 2015-16 should be from science stream (having any combination of Biology / Chemistry / Mathematics / Physics) in class XII and must take the NEST-2015 examination.
- Candidates who have passed class XII examination or equivalent from any recognized Board in India in 2013 or 2014 or are appearing in 2015 can apply for NEST-2015.
- Admission will be offered strictly on basis of Merit List of NEST-2015.
- Candidates securing at least 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade in class XII examination will finally be eligible for admission to NISER and CBS (55% for SC/ ST/ PD candidates.) Where only letter grades are available, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks is required. In the absence of such a certificate, the decision of the Admission Committee of the concerned Institution will be final.
General and OBC category candidates born on or after 15 July, 1995 are eligible to apply. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC / ST / Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.
Necessary certificates supporting eligibility criteria have to be furnished at the time of admission.
Number of seats & Reservation
The number of seats reserved for SC, ST, OBC Non-Creamy-Layer and PD is according to the Government of India norms. To claim seats under reserved category, relevant documents must be furnished at the time of admission. For the details of reserved seats and category certificates refer to the websites of the participating institutions.
The total number of seats assigned for the academic session 2015-16 is:
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar: 100+2 seats
University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy - Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS), Mumbai: 45+2 seats
(+2 seats are for J&K candidates)
NEST 2015 Exam Pattern
- NEST 2015 question paper will consist of 5 (five) sections and will of 3.5 hours duration:
- Section 1 is compulsory for all candidates to attempt and will have questions on general science to test candidates' awareness towards basic scientific facts. There will be no negative marking in this general section.
- Sections 2 - 5 will contain questions from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. Candidates can attempt as many sections they want from these four sections - but only the best 3 section's scores + section 1 score will be evaluated for preparing merit list.
- All questions will be of objective (MCQ) type designed to test candidates' subject comprehension and analytic ability.
- In the subject sections, there will be negative marking for incorrect answers.
- Some questions can have one or more correct answers for which marks can only be earned by marking all correct answers.
- Language of the question paper will be English only.
No negative marking
Attempt as many out of these 4 subject sections
The answer to each question has to be marked on an OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) sheet. The top half of the OMR sheet will be for filling personal details like name, roll number, application number, question set etc. and has to be filled in either by writing or by darkening bubbles using black ball-point pen. The lower half of OMR is for the answering questions of various sections, where the candidate is expected to darken the bubble(s) against correct answer(s) using dark lead pencil.
NEST 2015 Syllabus
The syllabus for NEST-2015 usually follows the NCERT / CBSE science syllabus of class XI-XII.
There is no specific syllabus for the general section. This section aims to assess your familiarity with major historical milestones in subjects such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, computer science and environmental science. Some of the questions in this section may require knowledge of 10th standard mathematics.
NEST Previous Years' Question Papers
Going through previous years' NEST question papers would help you get a good idea about what to expect for NEST 2015. We have collated for you the NEST questions papers from the year 2007 - 2014. You can go through these and prepare better for NEST 2015!
Application process of NEST 2015
To apply for NEST-2015, candidates can fill-up application form either online (preferably) or offline.
Online application: To apply online for NEST 2015, you would first need to register on the official website: www.nestexam.in.
You will get a mail to confirm and activate your login. Once it is confirmed, you can login and fill the online form.
• NEST-Online has been made extremely flexible with regard to filling up the form and uploading photo/signature.
• The online form can be saved in more than one sittings.
• Hence, it doesn't matter whether you make the DD/NEFT first or fill the form first.
• You can initially save the form with information that are readily available and later you should consider filling other details (in next login).
• You should read instruction given in image upload page before putting your hand in to it.
• Only after completion of all the formalities, you should go for printing the form.
• Duly write your 5-digit application number and name at the back of the DD and send it by regd/speed post to the Chief Coordinator.
• Check form status periodically until you see all the status messages in green. You can send a mail if you find "DD/NEFT not received" even after a week of sending the DD/NEFT.
Incomplete application in any respect will be summarily rejected. Online application opens on 5 January 2015 and last date of application is 7 March 2015.
Offline application: Candidates may send request letter to the Chief Coordinator NEST-2015 at the address below for paper-copy of the application form. The candidate should fill up the form, attach photo, sign and return the completed application form along with the application fees (in the form of DD) to the Chief Coordinator by post, preferably speed post.
Incomplete application form or form without DD will be summarily rejected.
The last date for requesting paper application form is 19 February 2015 and last date for receiving application is 7 March 2015.
The application fee for the male candidates of General / OBC category is Rs. 700. The application fee for SC/ST/PD and all female candidates is Rs. 350. The fee can be paid by Demand Draft:
- Demand Draft — DD for required amount may be made from any bank and should be drawn in favour of The Chief Coordinator, NEST-2015 and payable at Bhubaneswar. Candidate must write her/his name and application number on the back of the DD. The DD has to be sent preferably by speed post at the address given below and must reach on or before March 7, 2015.
- State Bank Collect online payment facility (SB-Collect): Here, payments can be made through credit/debit cards and internet banking facility. This payment method is available only for online applicants.
Applications incomplete in any respect or not accompanied by requisite fee will not be accepted
The request for paper application form, completed paper application form, Demand Draft and any NEST 2015 related queries by postal mail must be sent to:
The Chief Coordinator, NEST-2015
NISER, Institute of Physics Campus
Sachivalaya Marg, P.O. Sainik School
Bhubaneswar – 751005, Odisha
For any queries requiring quicker response, contact at —
Phone: (0674) 230 4036
NEST 2015 Exam Centres
The exam centres name and code of the 52 centres are listed here:
Test Centre Code
Agartala (TR) 01
Ahmedabad (GJ) 02
Allahabad (UP) 03
Balangir (OD) 04
Balasore (OD) 05
Bengaluru (KA) 06
Berhampur (OD) 07
Bhopal (MP) 08
Bhubaneswar (OD) 09
Burdwan (WB) 10
Calicut (KL) 11
Chandigarh (CH) 12
Chennai (TN) 13
Cuttack (OD) 14
Dehradun (UK) 15
Delhi-East (DL) 16
Delhi-North (DL) 17
Delhi-South (DL) 18
Dharwad (KA) 19
Guwahati (AS) 20
Ghaziabad (UP) 21
Hyderabad (AP) 22
Indore (MP) 23
Jaipur (RJ) 24
Jammu (JK) 25
Jodhpur (RJ) 27
Kochi (KL) 29
Kolkata-North (WB) 30
Kolkata-South (WB) 31
Lucknow (UP) 32
Madurai (TN) 33
Mangalore (KA) 34
Mumbai (MH) 35
Nagpur (MH) 36
Patna (BR) 37
Pune (MH) 38
Raipur (CG) 39
Ranchi (JH) 40
Rourkela (OD) 41
Sambalpur (OD) 42
Shillong (ML) 43
Shimla (HP) 44
Silchar (AS) 45
Siliguri (WB) 46
Srinagar (JK) 47
Thiruvananthapuram (KL) 48
Thrissur (KL) 49
Udaipur (RJ) 50
Varanasi (UP) 51
Visakhapatnam (AP) 52
|Application Forms Now Available|