What gaming software should I learn?
The gaming industry in India is expected to witness immense growth in the coming years with increase in personal computer (PC) games, mobile games, console games and online games.
According to Anand Khemani, owner of E-Xpress Interactive Software, a Mumbai-based publishing, distribution and retail company for gaming products in India, these are wonderful times for the Rs. 600-crore gaming industry in India. The industry is growing at a healthy 30 per cent and Khemani feels it has the potential to grow 200 per cent. He estimates that the gaming market in India may reach Rs 4,000 crore by the end of 2017.
The future seems bright for aspiring game designers and game developers according to these projections. In order to find a place in this industry, it may be a good idea to learn and get proficient with the popular gaming software. Here is a look at some of the tools and software required in gaming.
1. Game engines: Game engines are the software systems that help create, design, code and get a game up and running. A few popular 3D game engines include CryEngine, Gamebryo and Gamemaker.
2. Sound Forge 9: This is an audio editing software by Sony Creative Software that can be used to cover all aspects of audio editing and mastering. It is a commonly used tool in game sound design.
3. Motion Builder: It is a professional 3D character animation software that is used for virtual production, motion capture and can capture, edit and play back complex character animation in a highly responsive, interactive environment.
4. Adobe Flash: This is a vector-based software mainly used for delivering high-impact, rich designs, animation and application user interfaces (UI).
5. Sony Playstation 3: This is the third home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment and the successor to the PlayStation 2 as part of the PlayStation series.
6. Other commonly used tools and software include:
- Nintendo Wii console
- Wii Board
- Wii Wheel
- Console microsoft Xbox 360 premium
- Wireless joysticks microsoft for XBox360
- Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
“Gaming industry beckons Indian entrepreneurs,” 5 July, 2013, MoneyControl.com, http://www.moneycontrol.com/smementor/mentorade/starting-up/-gaming-industry-beckons-indian-entrepreneurs-912268.html
“Game art & design,” Arena Animation, http://www.arena-multimedia.com/game-art-design.aspx
“Tools & Software,” DSK Supinfogame Video Game, http://www.dsksic.com/video_game/school/tools_softwares