University Grants Commission (UGC) - Activities
Activities and Programmes to realize its aim of determining and maintaining the educational standards of the university, the University Grants Commission -
|Application Forms Now Available|
- Allocates grants to the universities and colleges out of its own funds for their development or other general purpose.
- Advises the central and state government on disbursing grants to the universities out of the Consolidated Fund of India.
- Advises any authority on the establishment of new university or on the proposal seeking expansion of any university.
- Collects information on university education in India and in other countries.
- Seeks information from the universities from time to time. The information may range from the financial position of the university, their various branches of learning to the rules and regulations followed in a particular university.
- Imparts education to the students in various streams through its Country wide classroom teachings and a four-year old 24 hours educational channel 'Vyas'.
- Conducts National Eligibility Test (NET) through its National Educational Testing Bureau in a bid to determine eligibility for lectureship. It also awards Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), which has been set as the minimum standards for Indian nationals to enter teaching profession and research. Humanities (including languages), Forensic Science, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences, and Applications and Electronic Science are the subjects in which a student can appear for a JRF.
- The University Grants Commission has recently launched an 'e-scripting' course in television for all those students who want to make a career in broadcast media. The course is being run by its Consortium of Educational Communication, an Inter University Centre of the UGC on electronic media.