Indian Army Technical Soldiers
The defense services offer a dignified, disciplined, and prestigious life. Recruitment in the Army as soldier is broad based. Every male citizen, irrespective of caste, class, religion and domicile, is eligible for recruitment in the Army, provided he meets the specified age, educational, physical, and medical standards.
Recruitment for the post of a soldier is carried out round the year through an open rally system. The recruitment program schedule is published in leading local newspapers, two weeks prior to when the rally is being conducted by the concerned ZROs (Zonal Recruiting Officers) and BROs (Branch Recruitment Officers). If you are looking forward to a career in the Army, then you should look out for such advertisements in local dailies and report to the rally site with the following documents in original along with two attested photocopies of each document.
- Xth class certificate which shows date of birth
- Xth/XIth Class marks sheet
- Character Certificate signed by village sarpanch (certificate should not be more than six months old)
- Domicile/Nativity certificate.
- Caste Certificate (if relevant).
- Dependent Certificate ( in case of son of Ex-servicemen/ War Widow/Widow ). This should be issues by SRO/CRO of record office with the official's S.No, Name, and Application of the officer signing the certificate affixed with round stamp.
- Certificate of Outstanding Sportsman (if relevant)
- NCC Certificate (A/B/C Certificate) (if NCC Cadet) signed by Battalion Commander/Group Commander
The screening procedure of the candidate for the post of soldier in the Army involves
- Checking of documents
- Physical measurements
- Physical fitness test
- Medical examination
- Written examination
- Preparation of merit list
Indian Army Technical Soldiers Qualifications
Age: 17 ½ - 23 years
10+2/Intermediate examination passed in Science with Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and English with 50% aggregate and 40% in each subject.
Soldier Technical (Aviation and Ammunition Examiner):
- 10+2/Intermediate examination passed in Science with Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and English with 50% aggregate and 40% in each subject.
- Or 3-years diploma in Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical/Automobiles/Computer Science/Mechanical Engineering and Electronic & Instrumentation Engg) from a Polytechnic Institute.
The physical requirements to join the Indian army are as described below:
|Western Himalayan Region||Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab Hills (Area South and West of the Inter State Border between Himachal Pradesh and Punjab and North and East ofRoad Mukerian, Hoshiarpur, Garh Shankar, Ropar and Chandigarh), Garhwal and Kumaon (Uttarakhand)||163||77||48|
|Eastern Himalayan Region||Sikkim, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Assam and Hill Region of West Bengal (Gangtok, Darjeeling and Kalimpong Districts)||157||77||48|
|Western Plains Region||Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh,Delhi, Rajasthan and Western Uttar Pradesh (Meerut and Agra Division)||170||77||50|
|Eastern Plains Region||Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand and Orissa||169||77||50|
For recruitment in the Soldier Technical category, there is an additional dispensation of 1 cm in chest measurement. Special physical measurements are also applicable to applicants from certain areas and heritage. This is applicable to recruits from Ladakh, Nepal, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, and Tribals of recognized Tribal Areas. There is also a relaxation in physical standards for sons of serving soldiers,ex-servicemen, war widows, widows of ex-servicemen, outstanding sportsmen, and candidates belonging to chronically poor areas or those who want to join overage categories and are from families engaged in traditional profession.
The details for these are available on the official recruitment site, joinindianarmy.nic.in.
For a candidate applying to the Indian army as a soldier technical, the following are the medical requisites:
- Robust physique and good mental health
- Well-developed chest with minimum 5 cm expansion
- Normal hearing with each ear
- Good binocular vision in both eyes. Should be able to read 6/6 in distant vision chart with each eye. The candidate should have a colour vision of CP-III and should recognize white, red, and green colors.
- Sufficient number of natural healthy gum and teeth i.e. minimum 14 dental points
- No diseases like deformity of bones, hydrocele and varicocle, or piles.
Physical Fitness Tests (PFT)
Applicants are required to prove their physical fitness by passing the following tests:
- 1-Mile Run for Endurance
- Pull Ups for Strength
- Zig-Zag Balance for Agility
- 9 Feet Ditch for Courage
Marking system is as follows :-
(a) 1-Mile Run
- 5.40 Mins and below: 60 Mks
- 5.41 Mins to 5.50: 48 Mks
- Above 6.20 mins: Fail
(b) Pull Ups
- 10 and above: 40 Mks
- 9: 33 Mks
- 8: 27 Mks
- 7: 21 Mks
- 6: 16 Mks
A miminum of 6 pull ups are essential for a candidate to pass
(c) Balance - Should qualify and no marks are awarded
(d) 9 Feet Ditch - Should qualify and no marks are awarded
Weightage in Merit
Bonus marks are also added, where Common Entrance Examination marks are considered if the individual has qualified in his Physical Test.
Indian Army Technical Soldiers Skills
- Effective intelligence
- Sense of responsibility
- Determination an d courage
- Speed in decision-making
- Expertise at the job i.e. catering
- Leadership Skills
- Team Work
Salary and Job Prospects for Indian Army Soldiers (Technical)
According to the official Indian Army website, an attractive salary package and allowance is recommended for soldiers who fall in the technical category.