Agricultural Engineering Careers
Agricultural engineering, like all other branches of engineering, uses scientific principles and technology to solve problems relating to sustainable agricultural production.
This covers areas such as:
|Application Forms Now Available|
- the development and management of dairy schemes
- irrigation and drainage
- flood control
- environmental impact assessments
- interpretation of research
- structure, machine and power technology
- food and bio-engineering
- environmental science
- soil and water conversation
For a bright career in agricultural engineering, one should have enough logic and practical thinking ability for inventiveness and innovation. The career is interesting, challenging as well as rewarding.
Eligibility Criteria for Agricultural Engineering Courses
A candidate aspiring for a career in agricultural engineering must complete his/her 10+2 Science with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and/or Biology. Most agricultural institutes/universities conduct entrance examinations for admission to BE/BTech programs in agricultural engineering. Some may consider marks obtained in 10+2 qualifying examinations for selection.
For ME/M.Tech programs in agricultural engineering one should have completed a BE/B.Tech in the same discipline. For this purpose, one needs to qualify in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) examination.
Agricultural Engineering Career Prospects
Apart from joining manufacturing industries graduates of this feild can also opt for jobs in water resource management, forestry, mining and rehabilitation, food processing, peri-urban and rural development, machine development and many more. Agricultural engineers can also work in NGOs under various schemes and projects.
Currently, agriculture engineers are working as specialists in private consultancies, large corporations, government and non-government organizations, and some have become engineering managers of large farms or estates.
Sectors where agricultural engineers find employment:
- Department of Agriculture (State as well as central government)
- Development organizations
- Agricultural co-operatives
- Manufacturers of agricultural equipment
- Fertiliser and irrigation companies
- Farming companies
- Industry service organisations such as the sugar industry
Agricultural Engineering Careers and their Pay-Package
Remuneration of agricultural engineers is not less than engineers from other branches. Agricultural engineering slaaries for fresh graduates range between Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 15,000 per month at the entry level.
After three or four years’ experience working on good projects, one can earn up to Rs. 30,000 per month. There is no limitation for the right candidates to progress in this field.
Agricultural Engineering Institutes/Universities
India has as many as 43 agricultural engineering universities under the status of central, state and deemed universities. These universities offer regular full time programs in agricultural engineering both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Apart from these universities, a few other universities and technological institutions such as the IITs also offer programs in agricultural engineering.
Here is a list of agricultural universities in various states which are offering BE/B.Tech and ME/M.Tech programs in agricultural engineering.
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University Hisar, Haryana
- Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences And Technology, Srinagar
- Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana - Punjab
- Maharana Pratap University of Agrilcuture & Technology, Udaipur
- Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agricluture & Technology, Distt Udham Singh Nagar Uttaranchal
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar Hyderabad - 500 030 Andhra Pradesh
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Kerala Agricultural Univesity, Kerala
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Tamil Nadu
- Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Orissa
- Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Cooch Behar, West Bengal
- Gujarat Agricultural Uiversity, Gujarat
- Maharashtra Animal & Fishery Sciences University, Seminary Hills Nagpur Maharashtra
- Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri, Distt. Ahmednagar Maharashtra
- Marathwada Agricultural University, Parbhani Maharashtra
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Chhattisgarh
- Birsa Agricultural University, Jharkhand
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya, Raipur, Madhya Pradesh
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Krishi Nagar Adhartal, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel University of Agriculture & Technology, Uttar Pradesh
- Assam Agricultural University
- Central Agricultural University, Manipur
List of 7 IITs and 20 NITs with details
Some Useful Links For Engineering Career
|Application Forms Now Available|