Career as an Army Officer
|Application Forms Now Available|
Do you love your country and are patriotic enough to devote your entire life in the service of the nation, then this the is the career for you.
Deciding upon the right career can be quite tricky for both students and their parents. Most of us go through this question after passing class 12th exams or during graduation. Career options for students who are pursuing professional courses or vocation courses, is relatively easier but for the remaining, a lot of thought goes into choosing the right option after class 12th and graduation.
A lot depends on the interest of the student but choice of the career and job prospects also play an important role in making the decision. Besides top paying career options such as MBA, Software, Chartered Accountancy, Journalism, Medical, Advertising, PR and architecture, there are numerous other careers and one of the favorite career option these days is armed forces.
Do you have it in you
- Passion to serve the country selflessly
- Leadership qualities
- Technical acumen if you are planning to be an airforce pilot
- Ability to take split-second decisions
- Ability to withstand physical and mental pressure
- A fighting spirit and love to accept challenges
Pros and Cons
- Highly respected and disciplined career
- Perks are excellent not only in terms of pay but other benefits like subsidized accommodation, medical benefits and education for children
- Job is adventurous and there is hardly any scope for monotony
- You have to stay away from your family for long periods
- Though a secured job but a high risk one especially when you are out there fighting battles for your country or facing the terrorists
- You have to keep on traveling from one place to another
A lieutenant gets Rs 25,000 per month while a middle-level lieutenant colonel / colonel gets around Rs 70,000 per month. The army officer is also entitled to perks like subsidized accommodation, free medical treatment, Army Group Insurance, subsidized food at the canteen stores and departmental facilities.
Visit our Career Center section for details on Armed Forces
Can I join the army after Class 12 or is graduation compulsory?
NDA or National Defense Academy entrance exam is for students who have passed Class 12. If you wanto join the army after graduation you can do so after appearing for Combined Defence Services’ exam.
Which stream should I opt in Class 11 so that I can join the army?
If you choose science in Class 11 with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects, you will have a wider option. Technical positions especially those joining the at the air-force require a science background.
I want to be a doctor and serve the nation by joining the army. How do I go about?
After you finish your MBBS, you can apply for Short Service Commission in the Army Medical Corps. AFMS invites application from civil doctors who have passed their final MBBS examination in first or second attempt and completed internship for grant of Short Service Commission in the Army Medical Corps.
NNE (National Network of Education) has compiled a list of the various available careers options.