What is Computer Aided Design (CAD)? Courses & Careers
CAD is the short form of Computer Aided Design: A combination of arts, science with business practice in the sphere of architecture and engineering. Almost every industry uses computers to store and retrieve information. Computers are also used in design projects.
Computer-aided design (CAD) is use of a wide range of computer based tools that assist engineers, architects and other design professions in their design activities.
It is the main geometry authoring tool within the Product Life-cycle Management process and involves both software and sometimes special-purpose hardware. Current packages range from 2D vector base drafting systems to 3D solid and surface modelers.
|Application Forms Now Available|
- CAD is used to design, develop and optimize products, which can be goods used by end consumers or intermediate goods used in other products.
- CAD is also extensively used in the design of tools and machinery used in the manufacture of components, and in the drafting and design of all types of buildings, from small residential types (houses) to the largest commercial and industrial structures (hospitals and factories).
- CAD is mainly used for detailed engineering of 3D models and/or 2D drawings of physical components, but it is also used throughout the engineering process from conceptual design and layout of products, through strength and dynamic analysis of assemblies to definition of manufacturing methods of components.
- CAD has become an especially important technology, within the scope of Computer Aided technologies, with benefits such as lower product development costs and a greatly shortened design cycle.
- CAD enables designers to lay out and develop work on screen, print it out and save it for future editing thus saving time on their drawings.
Courses and Eligibility Criteria
Generally a course on Computer Aided Design (CAD) is offered for a short period ranging from 3 months to 6 months. A very good grade at intermediate/secondary level with science /technology as subjects can be helpful.
- Graduates in science and engineering are preferred as compared to other graduates. A person having Degree or Diploma in Engineering or ITI pass certificate in mechanical/automobile or electrical branch of engineering can pursue course in CAD/CAM.
- Different institutes have different eligibility criteria for selection. The centre for computer aided design of Jadavpur University asks for B.Tech. / B.E. / A.M.I.E. / B.Sc. (with mathematics or statistics or computer science or physics as a compulsory subject) / B.C.A. / Bachelors degree in environmental or disaster management / B.A. or B.Sc. (with geography or geology honors) qualification.
Career Scope & Job Prospects
There is a clear promotion path from engineering craftsperson to engineering technician by studying part time for a relevant EDEXCEL/BTEC HNC/D or SQA NC group award qualification or by acquiring NVQ/SVQ level 3.
As an engineering operative or in a non-engineering post it may be possible to study part time for these qualifications then apply for an engineering technician job.
Qualified professionals find employment in manufacturing units, research and developmental firms and other related companies. One can also choose teaching as a career option as there are more numbers of training institutes on CAD/CAM is coming up in recent times.
A course in CAD or CAM will be beneficial for those who are having a degree or diploma qualification in engineering. It is a profession which needs adequate research and then development.
The salary in this field is very high, only sky is the limit. One can earn somewhere between Rs.30,000 - Rs.50,000 per month depending upon his/her expertise in the field.
Top Institutes for CAD Courses
|1||Institute for Design of Electrical Measuring Instruments||Mumbai|
|2||Computer Aided Design Centre||Kolkata|
|3||Department of Mechanical Engineering (IIT Guwahati)||Guwahati|
|4||MSME Development Institute||Mumbai | Chennai|
|5||Bhubanananda Orissa School of Engineering||Cuttack|
|6||Birla Institute of Technology||Ranchi|