Biomedical Engineering - Career, Salary, Colleges and Education Information
Image Courtesy: iopscience.iop.org
|Application Forms Now Available|
Biomedical Engineering involves design of instruments, devices, and software, to bring together knowledge from many technical sources to develop new procedures or to conduct research needed to solve clinical problems.
A biomedical engineer uses the traditional engineering theory and techniques to analyze and solve problems in Biology and medicine providing an over all enhancement of health care.
The course curriculum in Biomedical engineering are clinical engineering, tissue and genetic engineering, biomechanics, medical imaging, rehabilitation engineering, system physiology, bio-mechanics, bio-materials etc. These methods are applied in medical health treatment.
Students choose the biomedical engineering field to be of service to people, to partake of the excitement of working with living systems, and to apply advanced technology to the complex problems of medical care.
The biomedical engineer works with other health care professionals including physicians, nurses, therapists and technicians.
- An individual aspiring for Biomedical Engineering should do Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Biomedical Engineering offered at select institutes in the country and abroad.
- One can also opt for any conventional branches of engineering and after the completion can go for postgraduate course in Biomedical engineering.
- Alternatively, one can do BE in any of the Engineering branches and go for a postgraduate course in Medical Technology, which is considered equivalent to a postgraduate course in Biomedical Engineering.
- An individual after completing his/her MBBS degree can also opt for a postgraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering/ Medical Engineering/ Medical Technology.
- There are universities like SRM University that offer B.Tech degrees in Biotechnology and M.Tech degrees in Biomedical Engineering. Click here to learn more.
Vellore Institute of Technology; Image Courtesy: getmyuni.com
Biomedical engineering is one of the tough career options preferred by talented individuals in the field of engineering and medical sciences. There are enormous opportunities in this field.
Biomedical engineers have career opportunities in different fields,
Universities - Teaching.
- Industry - They create designs where an in-depth understanding of living systems and technology is essential.
- Hospitals - Give advice on the selection and use of medical equipment as well supervising its performance and maintenance.
Research Faculties of Educational and Medical Institutions - Supervision of laboratories and its equipment, and participate in direct research activities in collaboration with other researchers of the medicine, physiology, and nursing field.
Government Regulatory Agencies - Product Testing and safety and also establishing safety standards for devices.
- Technical Advisors - Marketing departments of companies and in management positions as well.
- Many biomedical engineers also have an M.D. degree, thereby combining an understanding of advanced technology with direct patient care or clinical research.
Applications Forms Now Available
Remuneration of biomedical engineering professionals is quite high.
- In medical equipment manufacturing companies, you can get anything between Rs.20,000 and Rs. 30,000 per month in hand apart from other perks and benefits.
- In research and teaching institutions salaries vary between Rs.18,000-25,000 per month.
- Private hospitals and clinics pay between Rs.15,000 and Rs.25,000 per month.
- In government sector, the monthly salary ranges from Rs.16,000 to Rs.22,000 per month.
AIIMS Delhi; Image Courtesy: cioandleader.com
Top 10 Colleges/Institutes in Biomedical Engineering 2017
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||Delhi|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology (Delhi)||Delhi|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology (Bombay)||Maharashtra|
|4||Manipal Institute of Technology||Karnataka|
|5||Netaji Subhash Engineering College (Kolkata)||West Bengal|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology (Roorkee)||Uttarakhand|
|7||SRM University||Tamil Nadu|
|8||Vellore Institute of Technology||Tamil Nadu|
|9||Indian Institute of Technology - Banaras Hindu University||Uttar Pradesh|
|10||The Central University of Karnataka||Karnataka|