Career in Biotechnology
Biotechnology is one of the most progressive and beneficial scientific advances of the last quarter century. An interdisciplinary field that includes mathematics, physics, chemistry, engineering and others, it combines various- technologies to either create a new product or modify an existing one to suit our needs.
Its widespread application across multiple industries like food, pharmaceutical, chemical, bio-products, textiles, medicine, nutrition, environmental conservation and animal sciences makes a career in biotechnology one of the fastest growing fields with ample opportunities for qualified professionals.
Biotechnology combines the theoretical (genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, embryology and cell biology), and the practical (chemical engineering, information technology and robotics) scientific aptitude, a keen interest in the biological sciences, problem solving skills. An analytical mind is essential for successful career in biotechnology.
The candidate should be methodical and patient by nature, able to work neatly and accurately and have a flair for laboratory work. The ability to work independently is another important aspect. The knowledge of computers is a must.
10 + 2 science stream graduates can opt for a B.Tech (Biotechnology) or an integrated M. Tech (Biotechnology); science stream graduates from any field (engineering, medicine etc.) can opt for a M. Tech (Biotechnology).
IIT Delhi and Kharagpuroffer admission into a five year integrated M.Tech through a Joint Entrance Examination.
The Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi conducts an all-India entrance examination for theirMsc Biotechnology program.
Any candidate with an undergraduate degree from a 10+2+3 system with at least 55% marks in:
- Physical, Biological, Agricultural, Veterinary & Fishery Sciences,
- 4-Years BS (Physician Assistant Course);
- OR Medicine (MBBS) OR BDS
Is eligible to apply for the JNU Msc(Biotechnology) as well as others.
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) also offers postgraduate courses in selected institutions, and through four prominent research institutes, further provides a two-year support for post doctoral programs; the objective is to prepare long term biotech professionals and scientists for frontier research and advance research methodologies.
Two other institutes, backed by the DBT, provide a one-year MD/MS training in medical biotech. The cover fields such as:
- therapeutic hormones and enzymes,
- gene therapy
Affordable and intelligent R&D partnering with Chinese and American corporate bodies has great scope in mining India’s biotech potential and co-developing tech; India has a global market worth a $91 billion. That’s why so many global pharma companies are flocking to India for their own R&D initiatives.
Job prospects in Biotechnology
A biotechnologist may find jobs in various quarters. Biotechnology jobs in India can be found in the following fields:
- Drug and pharmaceutical research
- Public funded laboratories
- Environment control
- Waste management
- Food processing
- Bio-processing industries
While government institutes and organisations, such as Department of Biotechnology (DBT), several agriculture, dairy and horticulture institutes may offer job opportunities to Biotechnology professionals, one can expect the best salary in private sector.
Drug companies in biotechnology like Dabur, Ranbaxy, Hindustan Lever and Dr Reddy's Labs that have their R & D units offer Biotechnology professionals with handsome pay-packages. There are also ample opportunities available to biotechnologists in the food processing industry, chemical industry and the textile industry.
Some industries employ biotechnologists in their marketing divisions to develop business in sectors where their products would be required.
The major companies, hiring biotechnologists, include Hindustan Lever, Thapar Group, Indo American Hybrid Seeds, Bincon India Ltd., IDPL and Hindustan Antibiotics.
Salary of biotechnology professionals
The Government of India provides large-scale employment to most biotechnologists in its research laboratories. Those employed as researchers in government sector can have a starting salary of Rs.9000 per month along with government perks/allowances.
Private sector pharmaceutical companies generally offer salary between Rs.12000- Rs.20000 per month to an entry-level postgraduate. A skilled and experienced biotechnologist can get salaries far beyond his expectations.
Institutes Offering M.Sc Biotechnology
- University of Allahabad, Allahabad
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Calicut University, Kerala
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, lndore
- Goa University, Goa
- Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
- Guru Jambheshwar University, Hisar
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- University of Jammu, Jammu
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Kumaun University, Nainital
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- MS University of Baroda, Vadodara
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
- University of Mysore, Mysore
- University of North Bengal, Siliguri
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
- University of Pune, Pune
- Punjabi University, Patiala
- R.T.M. Nagpur University, Nagpur
- Sardar Patel University, Gujarat
- Tezpur University, Tezpur (Assam)
- Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
- Visva-Bharati University, Sanliniketan
Note: Selection through All India Combined Entrance Test
Institutes Offering B.Tech/M.Tech/PhD
- Amity Institute of Biotechnology
Amity Noida Campus, Sector - 44
Noida - 201303 (U.P.)
Phone : 1800-11-00-00 (Toll-Free)