Mechanical Engineering - Career, Salary and Colleges
|Application Forms Now Available|
Mechanical engineering is a frontier branch of engineering discipline which involves the application of laws and principles of Physics to analyze, design, manufacture, and maintain the mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer understands the key concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics and energy. He/she may work in varied fields which use mechanical systems including automobiles, aircraft, heating & cooling systems, manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, medical devices and more.
Mechanical engineers also do research, develop, design and test tools, engines, machines, and other mechanical devices. They work on power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines as well as power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment and robots used in manufacturing. The Mechanical engineers may work in production operations in manufacturing or agriculture, maintenance, or technical sales; many are also absorbed as administrators or managers.
Courses & Eligibility Criteria
- An aspirant of mechanical engineering must start his/her academic career in Science at intermediate level i.e. plus two (with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
- After completion of plus two or class 12th in science stream he/she has to sit for entrance examinations conducted both at national and state level (e.g. IITJEE, BITSAT etc.). After qualifying the entrance exam he/she would take up BE/B.Tech. in mechanical engineering which is of four years duration.
- One can also opt for Diploma program after completion of his/her class 10th. In this case he/she will only be recognized with the status of a junior engineer.
- One who wants to study further after completing BE/B.Tech, can pursue M.Tech program offered by Indian Institutes of Technology and few other engineering colleges/universities in the country. For doing M.Tech the candidate needs to qualify the GATE examination.
- Individuals with interests in research and development can take up PhD program after his/her post graduation studies.
The Institution of Engineers (India) also offers AMIE course which is equivalent to BE/B.Tech offered by other institutes/universities.
Career and Job Prospects
Mechanical engineers are needed in various public and private sector companies including the automobiles, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining, technical wings of armed forces, space research organization and many other fields.
Government sector recruits various positions including,
- Junior Engineers
- Assistant Engineers
- Assistant Executive Engineers
- Executive Engineers
- Superintendent Engineers
Remuneration of mechanical engineer is quite high. A fresh graduate from any average institution can expect monthly salary somewhere between Rs. 30,000 – Rs. 35,000. The trend will increase with increase in experience and skills. Freshers from elite technological institutions including IITs, NITs, and BITS are offered very high pay package owing to their academic excellence and skills.
Top 10 Colleges/Institutes for Mechanical Engineering 2017
|1||Indian Institute of Technology - Delhi||Delhi|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay||Maharashtra|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology - Kharagpur||West Bengal|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology - Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|5||Indian Institute of Technology - Madras||Tamil Nadu|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology - Roorkee||Uttarakhand|
|7||IIT - BHU||Uttar Pradesh|
|8||BITS - Pilani||Rajasthan|
|9||Indian Institute of Technology - Guwahati||Assam|
|10||National Institute of Technology - Tiruchirappalli||Tamil Nadu|
Almost all engineering colleges in the country offer BE/B.Tech program in mechanical engineering. The pioneer institutes are the Indian Institutes of Technology, Birla institute of Technology, National Institutes of Technology, Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) and several other engineering colleges.
|Application Forms Now Available|