Nuclear Engineering - Courses, Colleges and Career in India
Nuclear Power Plant; Image Courtesy: telegraph.co.uk
Nuclear Engineering is based on the principle of nuclear physics which is taught in various colleges, universities, and research institutes.
Nuclear Engineering & Technology provides knowledge about uses of nuclear fission, construction, design, processing and management of nuclear reactors as well as invention of nuclear materials.
Academic programs offered through universities and research institutes focus on all areas of nuclear energy, i.e. research, development and application.
Coursework in nuclear engineering includes fissile material and fission systems, interaction and maintenance of nuclear fission system, nuclear reactors, nuclear power plants, nuclear war weapons, nuclear fusion, medical applications etc, nuclear safety, radiation, heat & thermodynamics transport, nuclear fuel, nuclear waste disposal, nuclear proliferation and the effects of radioactivity in the environment.
In India, course in Nuclear Engineering & Technology is offered by different university departments and research institutes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and research programs are also offered at doctoral and postdoctoral levels.
Various research organizations of Government of India offers postgraduate and research program in Nuclear Engineering & Technology for graduate engineers and science postgraduates.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Applications Forms Now Available
Nuclear Engineering & Technology is offered to undergraduate students at college level and the duration of the program is 4 years.
- A minimum 10 + 2 level educational qualification or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English.
- Admission is offered on the basis of Entrance Examination.
- At the postgraduate level, candidates need to clear Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
Nuclear Power Corporation of India is one of the few places in India for career growth in Nuclear Engineering; Image Courtesy: npcionline.co.in
Career and Job Prospects
- Nuclear Engineering & Technology makes a hot career option at undergraduate and postgraduate level among all engineering disciplines. Nuclear engineers find work opportunities as both engineers and researchers in Research & Development organizations, Nuclear Power plants, and Nuclear Reactors.
- In academics nuclear engineers find employment as lecturers/professors and actively contribute towards nuclear research. Nuclear Engineers also get employment in government and private agencies dealing with environmental safety. Opportunities are unlimited for nuclear engineers.
Nuclear Engineers are considered top-notch professionals.
A graduate in nuclear engineering normally earns Rs 20,000 – Rs 45,000 in the beginning of his career. Various other perks and facilities like residence, T.A., D.A. are also offered. However, this is not the limit and earning raises manifold based on performance and experience.
Top 10 Colleges/Institutes for Nuclear Engineering 2017
|1||Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University||Gujarat|
|3||IIT Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|4||Bhabha Atomic Research Centre Mumbai||Maharashtra|
|5||Homi Bhabha National Institute Mumbai||Maharashtra|
|6||GH Raisoni College of Engineering Nagpur||Maharashtra|
|7||School of Nuclear Energy Gandhinagar||Gujarat|
|8||Amity Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology Noida||Uttar Pradesh|
|9||IIT Madras||Tamil Nadu|
|10||Sastra University||Tamil Nadu|
State Wise List of Engineering Colleges