Audiology & Speech Therapy Careers
Audiology is the study of speech and hearing disorders. The profession, a well respected and satisfying one, is now an official specialisation due to the increase in patients.
Audiologists use various techniques to establish whether an individual is hearing impaired or not. These are:
- Hearing tests
- Otoacoustic emission measurements
- Electrophysiological tests
Twenty universities in India, eight public and fourteen private, some with their own multidisciplinary clinical setups, provide Speech Pathology and Audiology programs, which are accredited by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
Audiology Eligibility Criteria
- Diploma Programmes – 10 + 2 Science or an equivalent examination
- Bachelors Degree Programme – 10 + 2 Science with Physics, Chemistry Maths/Biology or an equivalent examination
- Post Graduate Program – Graduate in respective discipline of Speech & Audiology
Such degrees are recognised in India and abroad, and employment is usually found in government and private institutions. Indian audiologists have an advantage abroad thanks to their multilingual / multicultural background and excellent English.
- B.Sc. (Speech and Hearing)
- M.Sc. (Audiology)
- M.Sc. (Speech-Language Pathology)
- Bachelors of Special Education (Hearing Impairment)
- Diploma in Hearing Aid and Earmould Technology
- B.Ed (Special Education-Distance Mode)
- Ph.D. (Audiology)
- Ph.D. (Speech-Language Pathology)
- Certificate Course on Communication Disorders
Audiology Career Prospects and SalarySpeech and Hearing professionals like audiologists can find jobs with teaching and health care establishments. Several NGOs also offer good employments to these professionals. Audiologists conduct clinical activities with patients, are involved in speech & hearing research, dispense hearing aids and assistive listening devices and teach at schools and universities.
Audiologists work closely with government agencies, practicing physicians and hearing aid manufacturers. Subsequently an audiologist can also develop his / her own venture of health care or teaching institution or an NGO.
Presently, there are very few speech and hearing professionals/audiologists are in India while the requirement for these specialists far exceeds the supply. This means that there is excellent scope for those venturing into this field.
Audiologist’s earnings depend on his/her efficiency in practice. The average starting salary offered to a fresh graduate ranges between Rs.5, 000-Rs.7, 000. With increase in experience and skills the salary reaches Rs.10, 000 or more.
All India Institute of Speech & Hearing
- Manasagangothri, Mysore 570 006Phone Off : 91-0821 2514449
Fax : 91- 0821 – 2510515
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.aiishmysore.com/
Courses Offered : Diploma in HA & ET, BSEd (Hearing Impairment),
B.Sc (Speech & Hearing), M.Sc (Audiology),
B. Sc (Sp & Hg), M. Sc (Speech Pathology) and M. Sc (Sp & Hg)
- Dr. S.R. Chandrasekhar Institute of Speech & HearingHennur Road, Bangalore - 560084, INDIA
Telefax : +91-80- 2546 0405 / 2547 0037 / 2546 8470
Fax : +91-80-25467829
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://www.speechear.org/
Courses Offered :
- Diploma Course in Special Education (Hearing Impaired) [D.S.E. (Hearing Impaired)]
- Bachelors in Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology (BSLPA)
- Masters in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology (MASLP)
- Doctoral Program in Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences
- National Institute of Speech & HearingKarimanal PO, Thiruvananthapuram 695 583
Phone : 0471 2112735
Website : http://www.nishindia.org
- Bachelor in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASLP)
- Master in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (MASLP)
- Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing HandicappedK.C. Marg Bandra Reclamation
Bandra (W), Mumbai - 400 050
Phone : 022 - 2640 0215/0228
Fax : 0091-022-2640 4170
GRAM : HEARSPEECH
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Courses Offered : Various diplomas, PG diploma, bachelor’s and master’s level courses in Speech pathology and audiology.
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute (Deemed University)Porur, Chennai – 600116, Tamilnadu, India
Fax : 0091-44-24765995
Phone : 0091-44-24768423
Website : http://www.srmc.edu/university/
Course: Master in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
State wise list of Medical Institutes in India
For your reference we are giving you a state-wise list of medical colleges in India. Please click on the links given below to find list of medical institutes in that particular state/UT/city.
Medical Institutes in various states :