Career in Railway Services
The Indian Railways, today, provide the principal mode of transportation for freight and passengers in India. It is one of the largest employers in the world, providing employment to 1.54 million people.
The Indian Railway network consisted of nine zones, controlled by the Railway Board. A General Manager heads each of these zones.
Recruitment is done through 2 examinations:
- The Civil Services Examination for the Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS) and the Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS).
- The Combined Engineering Services Examination for:
- The Indian Railway Services of Engineers (IRSE)
- Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE)
- Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers (IRSSE)
- Indian Railway Service Stores (IRSS)
The Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers recruits 50 per cent of the candidates through the Combined Engineering Services Examination. The remaining 50 per cent are recruited as the Special Class Railway Apprentices for which U.P.S.C. conducts a separate competitive examination every year.
The Railway Recruitment Boards located at different parts of the country also recruit individuals for various positions viz. TTC, Asst. Station Masters, Goods Guards etc. Apart from these positions RRBs also recruit teachers, physical instructors, doctors in various departments, nurses and paramedical personnel through countrywide written tests.
|Application Forms Now Available|