CBSE Biotechnology Class 12 Preparation Tips
What is biotechnology?
Biotechnology is a field of applied biology that involves the use of living things in engineering, technology, medicine, and other useful applications. Modern use of the term includes genetic engineering as well as cell and tissue culture technologies.
|Application Forms Now Available|
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Genomics and Bioinformatics
- Microbial Culture and Applications
- Animal Cell Culture and Applications
Marks allocation for CBSE class 12 exam for biotechnology
Even though there are just 2 units in the CBSE syllabus for biotechnology, protein and gene manipulation for 40 marks and cell culture technology for 30 marks, there are many chapters in these units.
Some important chapters are:
- Recombinant DNA Technology – 15 marks
- Protein Structure and Engineering – 15 marks
- Genomics and Bioinformatics – 10 marks
- Microbial Culture and Applications – 10 marks
- Plant Cell Culture and Applications – 10 marks
- Animal Cell Culture and Applications – 10 marks
Though these are the marking trends, you should devote equal time to each section.
Tips for preparation for CBSE class 12 exam for biotechnology:
- Biotechnology is a content-based subject. It is inevitable that new terms have to be familiarized with and memorized. You can make flash cards with definitions of the new terms that you learn each day.
- Try to write the definitions in your own language without altering the meaning.
- Use the flash cards while traveling, during your lunch break or even 5 minutes before your dinner break.
- Follow your NCERT textbook and when you've fully understood the concept, browse through your school notes and test papers that you have taken.
- Ensure that you pay attention in lab sessions and actually perform the experiments.
- Make notes, highlight, and if you don’t mind making notes in your book, then you can even summarize the page in the margins.
- Take note of the common questions that have been asked and observe how the question should be answered.
- After you finish your syllabus, revise as many times as possible. When you finish, do take the sample papers provided by CBSE in a timed environment.
- Take as many practice tests as possible.
Tips for scoring good marks for CBSE class 12 exam for biotechnology:
- During the exam, try to write your descriptive answers in points and give pictorial or graphical illustrations wherever possible. It enhances visibility
- Scan the paper before answering.
- For long answer type questions, before starting, frame a skeleton of the answer in the margin.
- Be crisp and to the point in very short questions.
Recommended NCERT books for CBSE class 12 exam for biotechnology:
- A textbook on biotechnology, published by the CBSE is the best source of information, since it covers everything under the syllabus.
- A lab manual on biotechnology, published by the CBSE. The book will help you with your practical part of the subject, while helping you understand some of the theoretical concepts as well.
- Sample papers published by CBSE