Walk into any class of any engineering college in India and you'll see that boys outnumber girls by a huge margin! As per a TOI report, the boys to girls student ratio in an IIT campus is roughly 10:1. CBSE's new project aims to tackle this gap.
Project Udaan to "give wings to girl students", was established in 2014 to address the teaching gap between school and engineering entrance and to mentor girl students in their preparation for admission to India's premier engineering colleges. It is one of the noble schemes initiated by the HRD Ministry at the backdrop of the gender gap in the student enrollment ratio in engineering colleges which is 23% girls as against 77% boys. Udaan is designed to not only bridge this gap but also encourage and empower females with increased participation in professional and higher education.
|Application Forms Now Available|
About the project
The objective of Udaan is to enable girl students of weaker socio-economic status to get access to higher education by enriching the teaching quality especially in the areas of science and mathematics at school level. The project launched by CBSE will provide free online resources to 1000 selected girls. The selected girls will be able to avail free preparation resources and continuous assessment through the scheme with an attractive package to converted the marks secured into reward points, which they can later redeem as fees in the IITs and NITs.
Selected students can access the online portal which will have content in the form of tutorials, videos and text. The content will also be made available on a mobile device in an offline format as well. Students will be guided to use the mobile device through a technology orientation organized by the program. Once a student has successfully logged in to the portal, assessments will be built into the learning processes to track and monitor progress.
Salient features of Udaan
1. Free of cost support for 1000 selected girl students to help them compete to get into India's best engineering colleges
2. Provision of preparatory material through an online portal
3. Availability of tutorials, videos, and study material
4. Organization of virtual contact classes at 60 designated city centres
5. Tablets/ financial assistance to buy tablets
6. Orientation session on using technology will be given to all selected students
7. Assessments designed to provide useful feedback on learning
8. Remedial steps to correct learning
9. Peer learning and mentoring opportunities for meritorious students
10. Motivation sessions with students/parents
11. Student helpline services to clarify doubts, monitor student learning and support technology
12. Constant monitoring and tracking of student progress with feedback to parents
13. Assistance in application to colleges
14. If any of these 1000 girls get into an IIT/ NIT/ other centrally funded engineering college and also have at least 75% in Udaan classes, they would be provided with financial help (admission fee, tuition fee, hostel expenses)
(Also read: Scholarships for girls in India)
1. Students with Indian citizenship and residing in India
2. All girl students studying in class 11 of Kendriya Vidyalayas (KV), Navodaya Vidyalayas (NV) & other government-run schools (irrespective of the examination board) can apply for this scheme, provided that they meet the following criteria:
- Are enrolled in PCM stream
- Score at least 70% marks in Class X (overall) & 80% marks in Science and Mathematics (for boardss following CGPA system this would mean:Minimum of CGPA of 8 and a GPA of 9 in Science and Mathematics)
- Annual family income should not be more than Rs. 6 lakhs per annum
3. Reservation as per JEE (Advanced):
OBC (NCL) - 27 %, SC – 15 %, ST – 7.5 %
PWD – 3 % of seats in every category.
Eligible girl students can apply online till 27 July 2016.
All interested & eligible girls who want to fill application form for the Udaan scheme would be required to apply online at the official website of CBSE ( www.cbse.nic.in or www.cbseacademic.in)
Central Board of Secondary Education
2nd Floor, Shiksha Sadan
17 Rouse Avenue, New Delhi-110002
Official Website: www.cbse.nic.in or www.cbseacademic.in
|Application Forms Now Available|