Ever since motor vehicles came to be, automobile (also known as automotive or vehicle) engineering has gained importance. Automobile engineering deals with the design and creation of vehicles used as means of transportation by road. Essentially, it derived from mechanical engineering. More specifically, it is the branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, manufacturing, production, testing, repairing, control and management of automobiles. It is a combination of different elements of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, software engineering and safety engineering.
|Application Forms Now Available|
The main areas of application are in car design, operations involving the production of cars, designing of engines and fuel management. To become a capable and skilled automobile engineer, specialized training may be essential.
The major tasks of an automobile engineer are to design, develop, manufacture and test vehicles from the conceptual phase to production phase. It has many areas of specialization such as engine systems, fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, supply chain management, thermodynamics and electronics and control systems.
An understanding of the internal combustion engine, the mechanism of the vehicle chassis, electrical systems, workshop technology, motor transport affairs, and research and design is important.
Automotive engineers can work within a range of roles in the manufacture of cars, motorcycles, vans and other commercial vehicles: design, manufacture, distribution, marketing, sales and after-sales care. While most automotive engineers are employed by vehicle manufacturers, other employers include tyre manufacturers, specialist vehicle design companies and research/test laboratories, motor sports teams and oil/fuel companies. Self-employment via consultancy and contract work can also be an option, though several years of relevant experience may be necessary.
- The eligibility for Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) and Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) courses is usually the 10+2 with Science.
- In order to be selected for admission, required percentage marks in science subjects should be met, in addition to qualification through engineering competitive exams.
The course duration is generally about four years.
Automobile Engineering Topics
The curricula for Automobile Engineering includes subjects like,
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery
- Manufacturing Methods
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Thermodynamics
- Heat Transfer and Combustion
- Automotive Petrol Engines
- Engineering Analysis and Numerical Methods
- Automotive Design Engines
- Material Science and Technology
- Power Units and Transmission
- Automotive Chassis
- Vehicle Body Engineering
- Automotive Pollution and Control
- Quality Control and Reliability Engineering
- Automotive Electrical Systems and Electronics
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Operations Research and Industrial Management
- Ethics in Engineering and Transport Management
- Modern Vehicle Technology
- Robotics and Robot Application
- Off-road Vehicles
- Non-destructive Testing Methods
- Alternate Fuels and Energy Systems
- Entrepreneurship and E-business
- Industrial Engineering
Colleges/Institutes for Automobile Engineering Courses in India
Top 5 colleges that offer programmes such as a B.Tech. in Automobile Engineering in India are:
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Roorkee
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- SRM University, Chennai
Note: Programmes are subject to change, it is advisable to check directly with a school for current programme availability.