Masters in Medical Sciences and Technology of IIT Kharagpur
The School of Medical Science and Technology (SMST), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur offers an interdisciplinary course known as the Masters in Medical Science and Technology (MMST) for MBBS graduates. It is a 3 years post graduate program that teaches engineering skills to medical professionals. The curriculum is covered in 4 semesters.
About Masters in Medical Science and Technology (MMST)
The MMST program offered by the School is the only comprehensive physician-scientist training program in India which aims to bridge the gap that has historically separated biological sciences from engineering and physical sciences.
|Application Forms Now Available|
The major benefit of this course is that it creates well equipped and highly skilled medical professionals who are capable of handling advanced technology in the field of medical sciences. It provides training for state-of-the-art medical research in frontier areas of Medical Imaging, Molecular Imaging and Image Analysis, Biomaterials and Implants, Biophysics, Medical Statistics, Telemedicine, Biomedical Instrumentation, Early Detection of Cancer, Immuno-technology, and the like. The MMST program is unique in the way that its the only comprehensive physician-scientist training program in India which aims to bridge the gap between biological sciences, engineering and physical sciences. An assistantship of Rs.10, 000/ per month is given to all the eligible students.
The admission to MMST Programme is offered to 10 students each year on the basis of an entrance examination conducted all over the country. As the School of Medical Sciences and Technology IIT Kharagpur has collaboration with top hospitals and research centers all over the country, it is an added advantage for the students associated with the institute.
Some of the areas identified for teaching and R&D activities of the School are:
- Medical Imaging & Image Analysis
- Telemedicine & Tele Surgery
- Reproductive Health
- Healthcare Information Management System
- Preventive & Promotive Health Care System
- Bio-markers and their application in Oncology
- Tissue Engineering
- Bio - MEMS in Medicine
- Bio -MEMS & Sensors
- Wound Healing Research
- Herbal Medicine
- Instrumentation, Rehabilitation Engineering
Read: IIT Kharagpur
Scope and opportunities
- After successfully completing MMST, the medical professionals become well equipped to fill the gap that separates medical sciences from advanced technology. With the two fields merging rapidly there is a need for people who are qualified in both the disciplines and well versed with the upcoming thrust areas for research.
- MMST graduates can best provide the necessary technical inputs to various hospitals, medical industries and research institutes that are working on innovative techniques in medicine.
- MMST students may be capable of taking up challenging techno-medical management tasks.
- They may also be effectively employed for identifying the key areas of research and help an organisation in deciding which kind of research would be relevant and would reap benefits.
- Moreover they will be able to work on finer technical details of an innovative idea which the organisation may be contemplating to work upon
- The innovative concept of an intensive project spanning a duration of one year in the final year provides an opportunity to investigate on a specific problem in a particular area of medical science and technology.
An opportunity of assistantship of Rs. 25,000 per month is awarded to all the eligible students of MMST who keep up a good academic performance, and provide clinical services in B.C. Roy Technology Hospital, IIT Kharagpur for 10 hours per week.
MMST 2018 Exam Date
Date of Examination: 31 May, 2018 (10 am - 12 noon)
MMST 2018 Important Dates
Access to ONLINE (internet) Application Form starts
14 March, 2018
Last Date for ONLINE submission of Application Form (website closure):
17 April, 2018
Last Date to receive duly completed application Forms at GATE Office, IIT Kharagpur
21 April, 2018
Admit card available online from
21 April, 2018
MMST ADMISSION TEST 2018
31 May, 2018
MMST 2018 result declaration
6 June, 2018
Counselling at IIT Kharagpur(Tentative)
27 June, 2018
First admit list announcement
1 July, 2018
Last dates for candidates to accept admission
11 July, 2018
MMST 2018 Application Form
MMST 2018 application is to be submitted only by an ONLINE process (internet based) by accessing the website http://gate.iitkgp.ac.in/mmst from 14 March 2018 till 17 April, 2018. The candidate should first pay the Application Fee by obtaining a Demand Draft drawn in favour of IIT Kharagpur on any nationalised bank payable at Kharagpur, West Bengal. The draft details are require while filling up the ONLINE application form after successful submission of data. The printed form, with candidate's signature and photograph pasted at appropriate place, and the original Demand Draft must be sent by speed post so as to reach by 21 April, 2018 to The Chairman, GATE, IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur - 721302.
Following additional documents should be mailed along with the printed Application Form :
1. Attested copy of OBC (Non-creamy)/SC/ST/PD certificate (if applicable)
2. Attested copies of MBBS Degree (recognized by MCI) with mark sheet of all years as a proof of obtaining a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate.
3. Attested copy of proof of having passed Mathematics at +2 level (even as an additional subject)
Application Fees: Rs. 1500 for General Category and Rs. 750 for female and SC/ST/PD Category.
MMST 2018 Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have an MBBS degree recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI) with minimum 55% marks.
- Candidates must have studied Mathematics at 10 + 2 level or equivalent (even as additional subject) or from any recognized Open University.
- Seats are reserved for SC / ST candidates and persons with disability as per Government of India rules.
MMST 2018 Selection Criteria
The selection of candidates to the course is based on the performance of the candidates in an objective type of written test of 2 hours duration, to be conducted on 31 May, 2018. Candidates who qualify in the admission test will be called for counseling at IIT Kharagpur before final selection.
MMST 2018 Exam Pattern
- The admission test has objective type question paper of 2 hours.
- The candidates are required to answer 120 questions, of which 75 questions are based on MBBS syllabi. The remaining questions are equally distributed to cover Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics of 10+2 level.
- Each question carries 1 mark.
- Each wrong answer carries a negative marking of 0.25 marks.
MMST 2018 Syllabus
Newton's laws of motion; Translation and Rotation; Energy and Power; Conservation of Linear momentum; Simple harmonic motion; Hook's law; First law of thermodynamics; Expansion of solid; Gas laws; Maxwell distribution of velocity; Waves; Interference of two waves; Total internal reflection; Coulomb's law; Ohm's law; Magnetic Field due to Current; Faraday's law of induction; Photoelectric effect; Bohr model of atom; Radioactivity.
Chemical equilibrium; Chemical and enzyme kinetics; Nuclear Chemistry; Enzyme catalysis; Coordination Chemistry - preliminary concepts, Bonding; b and weak interactions; Inductive and resonance effects on acidity and basicity; Characteristic reactions of alcohols; Aldehydes; Ketones; Amines; Carboxylic acids and their derivatives; Optical isomerism of compounds containing two asymmetric centers; Aromatic and heterocyclic compounds (one hetero atom); Carbohydrates; Amino acids; Nucleic acids and Proteins; General structure and physical properties.
Algebra of complex numbers; Theory of quadratic equations and quadratic expressions; Relationship between roots and coefficients; Arithmetic, geometric and harmonic progressions; Equation of a straight line in various forms, angle between two lines, distance of a point from a line, lines through point of intersection of two lines; Limit, continuity and derivative of a function, limit, and derivative of sum, difference, product and quotient of two functions and composite functions; Integration as the inverse process of differentiation, integration by parts.
Anatomy - gross and applied; Physiology; Biochemistry and Genetics; Pharmacology, emphasis on clinical pharmacology; Pathology including microbiology and parasitology - emphasis on microscopic structures; Social and Preventive Medicine : emphasis on infectious and communicable diseases, immunization and family planning; Medicine including Pediatrics; Surgery including Orthopaedics and Urology; Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology and ENT, Anaesthesia and Oncology, Radio-diagnosis.
MMST 2018 Test Centers
Following are the test cities assigned for MMST 2018 entrance exam:
MMST Contact Details
For all correspondence connected to MMST test and counselling contact the following authorities:
The Chairman, GATE
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Kharagpur - 721302, West Bengal
Phone No. (03222) 282091
Fax No. (03222) 278243
Prof. P. K. Dutta
Head, SMST (School of Medical Science & Technology)
Phone (Head's chamber) : +91-3222-282221
Office : +91-3222-282220
Phone (Chamber) : +91-3222-283054
Phone (Residence) : +91-3222-283055, +91-3222-279154
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org