PTE 2019: Eligibility, Exam Dates, Registration, Syllabus
|Table of Content|
|Types of PTE|
|PTE Eligibility Criteria|
|Countries that accept PTE scores|
|PTE Exam Pattern|
|PTE Exam Dates|
|PTE Exam Preparation|
|PTE Score Calculation|
What is PTE?
The PTE (Pearson Language Test) is an English language assessment test for non-native English speakers. The test is administered in association with the world’s largest examining body Edexcel. There are three types of PTE level tests which include PTE General, PTE Academic (launched in 2009) and PTE Young Learners.
All PTE exams are used for testing an individual’s ability to speak, write and read in English. PTE tests are widely recognized around the world. The purpose of PTE exam is to evaluate the capability of understanding the context of the English language because that students can understand the subjects taught in the university which are in English. The purpose of PTE results proves whether the student is proficient enough to attend the college or migrate to an English speaking country.
PTE Exam Details
|Name of the Exam||Pearson Language Test of English|
|Types of PTE||PTE General|
|Number of Sections||Three|
PTE has three types of exams to know which one is right for you? Find out which of the following mentioned types suits the best for you –
PTE Young Learners
Types of PTE
Pearson Test of English General (PTE General) formerly recognized as London Tests of English General. PTE General Test is a theme-based examination designed to test how well the test taker can communicate in English in real-life and authentic situations of life. The test is generally taken only for the purpose of improving in the English language. Only a few countries accept the PTE General score for admission purpose.
Pearson Test of English, Academic (PTE Academic) was launched in 2009 which is endorsed by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). PTE Academic Test is a computer-based examination designed to assess the exam takers readiness to undertake a university program from a native English speaking country. Most of the universities accept the PTE Academic score for admission purpose.
PTE Young Learners
Pearson Test of English for Younger Learners (PTE Young Learners) formerly known as London Tests of English for Children. The test is designed to assess the ability of children who are learning English as a foreign language.
Who Can Appear for PTE? | PTE Eligibility Criteria
Non-native speakers who want to acquire thorough proficiency in the English language are recommended to take the PTE General test. Individuals who are migrating to a native English speaking country are quite often suggested to appear for PTE General Test.
There is no such PTE General Eligibility criterion. PTE General can be undertaken by anyone as there is no suggestive age limit or qualification as such required.
Students who want to apply at the universities or colleges abroad must take the PTE Academic test. University or college programs are taught in English. Also, the scope of diversity is ample, interacting with people with different accents is one of the reasons students must be proficient in English. PTE Academic test assesses the capability of the students English fluency ability.
Students must be at least 18 years or older. If the student’s age is below 18 years, he/she need to produce a consent letter from their parents or guardian.
PTE Young Learner
PTE Young Learner test is designed for children specifically are or between the age group of 7 to 12.
Countries that accept PTE scores
PTE is a popular English Proficiency test that is accepted in several countries and universities. The PTE exam score is considered for immigration and is also accepted for university admission purposes.
List of countries that accept PTE exam scores for immigration and admission purposes –
PTE Exam Dates 2019
PTE Exams are conducted throughout the year. Therefore, register or apply to appear for PTE examination as soon as you are ready to give your English Proficiency test. Students can register for PTE exam date by visiting their official website. Individuals need to be fully-prepared for the test. As mentioned, the PTE exam date can be scheduled as soon as the student is ready to appear. To learn more about the eligibility and registration criteria please visit the PTE website.
PTE Score Validity
PTE General score validity
There is no expiration or validity period for PTE General Score i.e. the score is valid for lifetime.
PTE Academic score validity
The PTE Academic score is valid for 2 years. The test scores are automatically taken down from the website after 2 years are completed. In Australia, the PTE Academic score is valid for 3 years where the student or immigrant has the opportunity to apply for Permanent Residency (PR).
PTE Young Learners
There is no validity date as such.
Reappearing for PTE
Until and unless an individual scores at least C1 level (Advanced) of proficiency, he/she is recommended to appear for the PTE General tests. There is no limitation on undertaking the PTE tests.
If he/she is unsatisfied with the score results, they reappear for the PTE Academic test as many times as they want. One can register or apply to the PTE Academic test within or after 5 days the results are generated.
PTE Young Learner
Children who want to check their improvement can reappear for the exam. However, reappearing for PTE Young Learner test once in a lifetime is sufficient.
PTE Exam Fee 2019
PTE Academic fee 2019
PTE Academic exam fee for a single attempt is 160 USD. Individuals who fail to pay the exam fee on time have to pay a total sum 200USD as a late fee. 50% of the fee is refunded in circumstances where the exam taker is physically unfit to attempt the exam. However, they must send a proof for the medical condition.
PTE Exam Schedule 2019
PTE General Exam Schedule
PTE General Exams are conducted around five times a year. November, December, February, May, June are some of the prime months where PTE General Tests are scheduled. To register for PTE General Test one must get in touch with the customer care department at Pearson Education Ltd. Ideally, one must appear for the exam as soon as they are prepared to assess their English fluency level.
PTE Academic Exam Schedule
PTE Academic Examination is conducted throughout the year, more than 360 days in 50+ countries around the world. Individuals can book their seats for PTE Exam Date by filling out the online application. Students must undertake the test at least a year before sending out the university application, ensure that the universities you are willing to apply to accept the PTE Academic results. PTE Exam Dates are not specified, students can simply book their examination date by visiting their website.
PTE Registration 2019
PTE General Registration Process
Since there is no official website to send or submit your exam application for PTE General, it is recommended that one must get in touch with the customer care at Pearson Education Ltd.
PTE Academic Registration Process
- PTE Academic exam registration can only be done via PTE’s online portal that lets you submit the application as well submit the exam fee. The process of registering for PTE Academic is as follows:
- Visit the PTE Academic website for booking your exam slot and paying the PTE Academic fee.
- Create a Pearson account. Enter the required details. Get registered.
- Sign in with your Pearson account details which will be sent your preferred email within 48 hours.
- Schedule your test by choosing your preferred location to undertake the exam and also by paying the PTE Academic fees.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email address with all the details of your PTE Academic exam.
PTE Test Centres
PTE Academic exams are held in over 50 countries around the world. Pearson VUE conducts PTE Academic tests and administers the exam at 19 regions and over 20 exam centers.
PTE Exam Pattern 2019
PTE General Exam Pattern
PTE General Exams are conducted in two categories: Speaking and Writing.
The written test is further divided into Listening, Reading Comprehension and Writing.
PTE General Exam scores are calculated based on 6 levels of assessment: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2 which are based on the CEFR (The Common European Framework of Reference) grading system.
Individuals must acquire C1 or C2 level fluency to apply for being able to be accepted at universities or ministries abroad. However, not all universities accept PTE General as their entrance exam requirement as the scope of this exam is only limited to real-life communication. Also, the PTE General is not accepted for VISA purposes.
Few universities and ministries of the further mentioned countries accept PTE General Score for their entrance exam requirement – Argentina, Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, UK, Estonia, Ukraine, Greece Vietnam, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland.
PTE Academic Exam Pattern
PTE Academic exam is divided into 3 categories namely Speaking & Writing, Reading and Listening.
|PTE Exam Section||Duration|
|Speaking and Writing||77 to 93 minutes|
|Reading||32 to 41 minutes|
|Listening||45 to 57 minutes|
PTE Academic: Speaking and Writing (Part 1)
Duration: 77 to 93 minutes
- Personal Introduction: You will be given around 25 seconds to read a prompt and prepare an answer. Further 30 seconds are allotted for recording your answer. You can only record your answer once. Scores are not noted for this however, the examiner will examine your answer and send a report to your desired institution at the time of university application submission.
- Read Aloud: You have read the prompted sentence on the screen aloud and record the sentence as your answer within 35 seconds.
- Repeat Sentence: You will hear a sentence. You will have to repeat the prompted sentence to complete your answer.
- Describe Image: A graphical representation will be put up on your screen. You will have a few seconds to understand the image after which you have record your response by describing the image within 40 seconds.
- Re-Tell lecture: The examiner will play a segment of an interview. An image may also be a part of the question. You will have to interpret, understand and record your answer within 1 minute.
- Answer Short Question: You have to hear a recorded question and write down your answer is not more than one or a few words.
- Summarize Written Text: Read the passage, write down a summary of the passage in not more than a sentence. The task is expected to be completed within 10 minutes. Cut, Copy and Paste option is available therefore select the words you would like use in your sentence and formulate your answer quickly.
- Essay: A brief paragraph is given for reference. Read the paragraph/s, understand it and compose an essay of 200 to 300 words. Cut, Copy, Paste is available.
PTE Academic: Reading (Part 2)
Duration: 32 to 41 minutes
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer: Read the passage and answer the question by choosing one of the four given options.
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer: Read the passage and answer the question by choosing two possible answers.
- Re-order Paragraphs: Read the paragraph and rephrase or re-order the structure of the sentences.
- Fill in the blanks: Read the paragraph and answer the question by placing the right option in the provided blanks.
- Reading & Writing Fill in the blanks: Read through the paragraph and choose the right answer for the blanks.
PTE Academic: Listening (Part 3)
Duration: 45 to 57 minutes
- Summarize Spoken Text: Listen to a segment of an interview or a recorded clip. Write down your answer by summarizing the concept of the recorded audio.
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer: Listen to the audio. Choose two appropriate or possible answers to the question.
- Fill in the blanks: Listen to the audio. Fill the blanks with your answer.
- Highlight Correct Summary: Listen to the audio. Choose one sentence that is most closely related.
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer: Listen to the audio. Choose one out of four options as your answer.
- Select Missing Word: Listen to the entire audio. Identify the missing word and choose the correct answer from the given options.
- Highlight Incorrect Words: Listen to the audio. Read the paragraph or passage and identify the wrong words or incorrect words and replace them with correct words or right words.
- Write from Dictation: Listen to the audio. Write your answer by determining the concept of the audio.
PTE Exam Preparation
Read newspapers, articles, blogs and watch English based movies with subtitles to improve your English speaking skills to prepare for your PTE General exam.
Preparation of PTE Academic can be done through accessing sample or mock tests online. PTE academic preparation resources include course Books and offline practice tests. PTE Academic practice tests can be accessed by visiting the official PTE test website. However, for free PTE Academic practice tests, one can find sources online or buy books that will help you with PTE academic test practice.
PTE Score Calculation
PTE General Score Calculation
There are 6 levels which are categorized to generate the fluency or proficiency of the exam taker. CEFR (The Common European Framework for Reference) determines the fluency of the exam taker by grading them according to the following mentioned levels in four aspects i.e. Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
A1 – Beginner
A2 – Elementary
B1 – Intermediate
B2 – Upper-Intermediate
C1 – Advanced
C2 – Proficiency
PTE Academic Score Calculation
The PTE Academic scores are measured on the Global Scale of English, a scale that measures your English language proficiency by categorizing into reading, listening, writing and speaking. The scale ranges from 10 to 90 points.
PTE Results Validity
PTE Academic exam results are posted on the PearsonVUE website. Individuals can access the PTE Academic results for up to 2 years. PTE result is easy and quick to access.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to apply for PTE Exam?
Applying for PTE examination is simple and quick. After preparing for the PTE test you apply or register for the examination on their official website.
What is the booking procedure for PTE test?
Sign in or register on PTE’s official website, click on PTE exam and select schedule exam to book your slot to appear for PTE exam.
What payment options are accepted to book the PTE exam date?
After scheduling your exam date, you can pay your exam fee through net banking i.e. online transactions. PTE exam date can be scheduled through Debit cards, Credit cards, and promotional vouchers (if any)
What if I am not satisfied with my PTE exam score?
PTE examination is flexible you can reschedule or cancel your test according to your convenience. The PTE exam must be cancelled or rescheduled in less than 14 days of the scheduled test date. PTE also refunds the amount only in the case if the guidelines provided on their website are followed.