Executive MBA in India
The interest in Executive MBA has seen a sudden surge in India with mid to senior level corporates looking to broaden their perspectives and hone their managerial skills.
The Association of MBAs, who accredits and governs MBA institutes around the world, states that- "MBA is defined as a career development generalist programme, designed for someone with post-graduation work experience, and on which the learning process is built". The aim of the course is to sharpen your skills on previous work experience in business and management, and equip yourself for leadership and transformational roles in business. And this is where the new kid on the block steps in - the Executive MBA.
|Application Forms Now Available|
The Executive MBA in India was introduced in India by the Indian School of Business (ISB) with the IIMs following up quickly with their own variations. The course is often referred to as Post Graduate Programme for Executives (PGPX) and Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP) and MBA Executive.
Such MBA programs are designed keeping in mind the needs of working professionals, executives, high end managers and CEOs. The curriculum taught in Executive MBA program helps industry managers, professionals and executives to improve their skills. This program is considered same as equivalent to Master of Business Administration (MBA) program. Most of the institutes in India offers the same curriculum for MBA and Executive MBA students.
Also read: 5 need-to-know challenges while pursuing an Executive MBA
People willing to pursue an executive MBA program in India must have to possess at least 3 years of work experience. However, in some cases, management institutes ask for 5 years of work experience or more. A team approach is often followed to discuss case studies which help individuals to learn from others.
Executive MBA Programs are flexible in nature and offered according to convenience. These programs are offered in various modes:
- 1-Year Executive MBA Program
- 2-Year Executive MBA Program
- 3-Year Executive MBA Program
- Full Time Executive MBA Program
- Part Time Executive MBA Program
- Executive MBA Program through Distance Learning
- Online Executive MBA Program
1-Year Executive MBA programs are specially designed for high end managers accountable for major roles in a company or group. These are full time programs leveraged with vast syllabus content. Executives and Managers pursuing this program are expected to devote maximum time for studies and group activities.
2-Year and 3-Year Executive MBA programs also offer the same curriculum as it is for 1 Year Executive MBA program students. Though, these programs are designed keeping in view the convenience of the working managers and executives who can not attend full-time day classes. These programs are Part Time in nature.
Correspondence Executive MBA / Distance Learning Executive MBA / Online Executive MBA Programs are best suitable for those managers and executives who can not attend regular classes but still needs a post graduate business degree to enhance their career prospects. Students can pursue program sitting at home.
Online Executive MBA programs are gaining popularity with the penetration of internet in India. In this mode of learning one can study online sitting at home from any institute of the world. In online learning, everything is online starting from filling of application form to appearing in final exams and getting degree. Best institutes around the world offers virtual classrooms where students and faculty members can come together for curriculum discussion and actual industry issues.
Also read: 5 reasons why you should pursue an Executive MBA
General eligibility criteria to pursue executive MBA programs is as follows:
- Executives with graduate degree in any stream or an equivalent qualification.
- 3-5 years work experience
- Valid Score in CAT / GMAT / GRE
- Proficiency in English
- Leadership qualities
MBA colleges/ b-schools offering executive MBA courses in India:
Here are some of the most popular institutes for this programme.
- Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad, introduced the concept of Executive MBA in India in 2001. Its programme, Post Graduate Programme in Management for Senior Executives, is intended to hone the skills of senior managers, which can then give them a leg up in their corporate career. Applicants are expected to have a minimum of 10 years of work experience for applying to this rigorous programme. One of the highlights of this programme are the two academic terms, one each at Wharton and Kellogg School of Management. The course fee for the academic year 2015-16 is Rs.30 lakh (plus service tax @ 12.36%) and includes the admission fee & tuition.
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM-A) launched its Postgraduate Programme in Management for Executives in 2006. The average experience needed is 10+ years. IIM-A collaborates with various international universities and faculty members from international institutes and universities for this programme. The course costs around Rs.21.5 lakh, with the 2015 course likely to cost higher.
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM-B)'s full-time Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP) is a demanding one-year residential programme for corporates who have a work experience of 5-15 years in various industries. Started in April 2009, this course builds on the experience of the candidates and offers a good managerial foundation similar to the two-year programme. Course fees for the 2015-2016 is around Rs.23 lakh for those opting for shared accommodation.
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM-C)'s Post-graduate Programme for Executives started in 2007 and is the perfect platform for mid and senior level corporates to improve their existing skills sets and climb the corporate ladder. International exposure, an innovative curriculum and a great faculty are its advantages. The course fee for 2014-15 is around Rs.18 lakh, which covers tuition fees, cost of course material, books, accommodation for a single person and airfare of study tours.
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai - The course duration of SP Jain's Post Graduate Executive Management Programme is 21 months. While the tuition fee is Rs.4.5 lakh, lodging and other costs push the fees to Rs.6.2 lakh. The institute has partnerships with IBM, for research in science and management.
- IIM, Lucknow (IIM-L)'s 1 year International Programme in Management for Executives was started in 2008 with the aim of developing business education that is grounded in the Indian and international business environment. This one is conducted at the Noida campus. The course fee is around Rs.19 lakhs.
Other executive courses offered:
Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bengaluru
MBA (Executive Education) & PGDM
Duration: 30 months & 12 months
Eligibility Criteria: Graduation and 3 years work experience (MBA). Work ex not necessary for PGDM
Fees: Rs.4+ lakhs (MBA) & Rs.1+ lakhs (PGDM) approximately for complete course
Selection Procedure: Written Test followed by Personal Interview
Faculty of Management Studies (FMS) – University of Delhi (DU)
Duration: 3 years (Part Time)
Eligibility Criteria: Graduation in any discipline with minimum 3 years’ of work experience. (Employer Sponsorship is must for this program)
Fees: Rs 10 lakhs Or US$ 25000 for complete course.
Selection Procedure: Written test followed by interview.
For more details about University of Delhi click here.
Executive Post Graduate Program (EPGP)
Duration: 3 years
Eligibility Criteria: Graduate degree in any discipline with minimum 3 years of work experience.
Fees: Rs 3 lakhs or 6500 US$ for complete course.
Selection Procedure: XAT Test followed by Interview
For more details about XAT Test click here.
Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
Executive Masters in International Business (Executive MIB)
Duration: 18 Months
Eligibility Criteria: Graduate Degree with Minimum 5 years of work experience or Post Graduate with 3 years of managerial experience.
Fees: Rs 1 lakh Or US$ 2500 for complete course.
Selection Procedure: Essay Test, Group Discussion and Interview
Note: This program is also offered via VSAT
For more details about IIFT click here.
|Application Forms Now Available|