Submit

CBSE Classes VI to IX to follow a new exam format 2017-18 onwards

Published on: Author:

CBSE New Exam Format 2017-18: Assessment, Examination and Report Card


New Delhi:
The Central Board of Secondary Education has so far followed the continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE) scheme for students of Classes VI to IX. However, it has officially discarded the old scheme for an improved format which will follow a uniform process of assessment and evaluation, and report card. This new format will come into effect from the academic year 2017-18 onwards. The new scheme aims to bring standardization in the process of teaching, evaluation, examination and report card.

All the students beginning from Class VI will now have to follow CBSE's instructions and the report card will bear CBSE's logo henceforth.

CBSE Class X Date Sheet 2017

CBSE Chairperson, R K Chaturvedi said that all the affiliated schools have been following different methods of examination and assessment so far in Classes VI to IX and this measure is a step linked to the reinstatement of the CBSE Class X Board Exams 2018 onwards.

He also added that the new exam format is a "gradual movement towards quality education through standardization of teaching, assessment, examination and report card."

He said, "With the increase in CBSE affiliated schools from 309 in 1962 to 18,688 at present, a uniform system will ensure easy migration of students within the CBSE schools and also ease their difficulties while seeking admissions in new schools."

CBSE Class 10 Results 2017

The new report cards for Classes VI to VIII will also bear a new look. The school terms along with the periodic, notebook and subject enrichment with the half yearly and/or yearly marks scored in each subject with their corresponding grades will be mentioned in identical rows on the report card. The students will be assessed on their co-scholastic activities on a 3-point scale.

The Class IX report card format will include the score of just one yearly term which will have a periodic test, notebook, subject enrichment and annual examination details. Unlike a 3-point grading system for co-scholastic activities from CBSE Classes VI to VIII, the CBSE Class IX will have a 5-point grading system.

In the previous CCE scheme, 60% of the assessment done was through pen-paper tests and the other 40% assessment was done the whole year round by teachers who evaluated students based on their performance in various activities.

The new exam format or scheme will now have 90% weightage for pen-paper tests. This will include the half-yearly or yearly 80 marks and 10 marks out of the 20 that are based on the periodic assessment done in each term. The remaining 10 marks will be based on notebook submission and subject enrichment which will be done under periodic assessment itself.

The CBSE Chairperson also said, "This is to gradually prepare the students for Class IX and higher classes where they will have to appear for exams for the entire syllabus. But it will happen gradually."



About Ileana Sharangpani

Ileana is a fresh face in content writing although her love for writing dates back to her school days. She is an avid tennis fan and has indulged in lawn tennis, basketball, hockey and volleyball during her school and college days. A foodie at heart, she likes to try different cuisines at every chance she gets. Professionally she has tried her hand at finance before content writing beckoned her. Already bitten by the travel bug, she hopes to explore different places in India and abroad.

Subscribe to our Newsletter
×