The growing popularity of Distance Education in India
Distance Education is no alien word to anyone today. In fact, the power of distance learning is so, that almost everyone wants to take away all they can from the comfort of their home. Distance Education (DE) and Online Learning have many advantages known to us that gives them the edge over other regular education systems.
|Application Forms Now Available|
To start with, not only is DE a boon to working professionals and homemakers, but it is also for those who wish to enhance their skill sets and make them as varied as possible. Where on one side homemakers across the world can now receive certification and become qualified enough to do a job and support their families, on the other hand there are people like Zafar.
Zafar is a 22 year old Commerce graduate currently working for an IT firm as a content writer. “Ever since I was a boy I wanted to do everything at once. I found designing interesting at times and the others I was inclined towards psychology”, he says. “There was a time when it was difficult for me to choose between learning designing and coding as I could only spend money for one. But as I grew up I found out about many online courses on Coursera and FutureLearn that I can pursue at the comfort and flexibility of my schedule. Currently apart from my job, I am a part time photographer and I am taking a course online in animation which I wanted to do since long.”
5 Reasons why Distance Education is Popular
- One of the major reasons why distance learning is gaining popularity is also because the cost of learning online is drastically less than a regular college.
- The costs incurred only include study material generating, lecturer video content and internet costs, which reduces to overall production cost for a study material for an individual.
- Not only this, but lectures, video and audio content are properly documented for reference later without any changes which helps with the rhythm of studying.
- It’s growing success can also be owed to the fact that it allows individuals to pursue professional courses like MBA, M.Tech and other PG studies while working.
- It saves time as well as money and the job opportunities differ very minutely for both methods of education.
In many companies, the management pays for the individual to go through the course because it adds value to the skill set and retains an already experienced employee.
Although, to enjoy the certain benefits of a Distance Education program one must be consistent. Studies show that of all the students registering for a distance learning program, less than 70% students begin with the course, 30-35% complete the course and only a meagre margin of 5-10% students appear for the final test to attain certification. The alarming rate of dropouts is a point to ponder upon however many experts say, not every individual looks for certification. Most of the ones that complete the course learn it while doing their jobs to implement it in their workspace or to have an addition of skill set. The point expressed can be considered similar to someone learning Google sheets to document activities and use it to simplify tracking of operations.
With increase in the number of Ed-Tech Startups providing course materials and catering to individuals as young as 10 year olds, globalisation and access to internet, it is difficult to oversee the growing attraction towards Distance Learning instead of regular conventional education. Now, everyone gets to be a student, everybody gets to learn and everybody gets to move towards their future!
|Application Forms Now Available|