Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships are awarded for a maximum duration of 9months. The research scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. program at an Indian institution and also for professionals with significant work experience and accomplishments are eligible to apply.
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships awarded in following study areas:
Agricultural Sciences; Economics; Education; Energy, Sustainable Development and Climate Change; Environment; International Relations; Management and Leadership Development; Media and Communications with focus on Public Service Broadcasting; Public Administration; Public Health; Science and Technology; Study of India with focus on contemporary issues; and Study of the United States. For Study of India or the Study of the United States (American Studies) the areas could include: language and literature, history, government, economics, society and culture, religion, and film studies.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships Grant Benefits
- A monthly stipend
- Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per US Government guidelines
- round-trip economy class air travel
- applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees if any.
- Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the US
- No allowances are provided for dependents.The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
Eligibility Requirements Regarding Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships
In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicant should:
- who are working on their Ph.D.'s should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the US. They should be registered for their Ph.D.'s at an Indian institution at least one year prior to the date of application and should enclose a certificate from their Ph.D. supervisor commenting on their research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicating the Ph.D. registration date;
- who are professionals should have a master's degree and substantive professional experience in the proposed field;
- should apply through proper channel, if employed;
- should enclose a 'writing sample' which could be a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis; and
- should preferably be 45 years of age or under.
Note: These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applications from scholars/professionals with Ph.D. degrees or at the final stage of thesis submission will not be considered.
Application Procedure and Guidelines Regarding Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships
As suggested by USIFE India – Read Carefully
Application material can be downloaded from official USIFE India. Applicants who wish to obtain the relevant application form through e-mail (as an attachment) may send a request to email@example.com, specifying the grant category in the subject line.
IMPORTANT: You can apply for only ONE Fulbright-Nehru fellowship category during a competition cycle.
Warning: Plagiarism in the application will lead to disqualification.
Please follow the instructions given on the first page of each fellowship application form.
Unless otherwise specified, you are required to submit your completed application as an e-mail attachment. In addition, you should print a copy of your application and sign it. If you are not employed, please forward the signed copy to the USIEF office in your region. If you are employed, you should forward the signed copy of your application (including enclosures, if any) through the appropriate administrative authority, to the USIEF office within your region. In case of central or state government employees, the signed copy of your application should be forwarded through the cadre controlling authority so as to reach USIEF by the application deadline. Applications must reach USIEF by the specified due date or the following business day if the due date falls on a weekend/holiday.
Incomplete or late applications or applications not forwarded through the proper channel will not be considered.
Applicants are also advised to request three referees to send in their recommendations as per the instructions given on the first page of each fellowship application form. The recommendations should be sent to the Executive Director, USIEF, Fulbright House, 12 Hailey Road, New Delhi 110 001 by the application due date. In case of employed candidates, the employer's comments in the application form must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship.
All entries in the application form must be computer-generated and not hand-written. Please do not exceed the word limit or attach additional pages to answer questions, unless otherwise specified.