Korean Government Scholarships 2016
Image courtesy: studyinkorea.go.kr
For students from India, the Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) is a great opportunity to study in 66 universities of Korea. The scholarship aims to contribute to the development of international education space. Supported by the Korean government and implemented by Korea's Ministry of Education's "National Institute for International Education (NIIED)", this scholarship program started in 2010.
Indian students chosen under this scholarship program by the Indian HRD ministry will be eligible to opt for advanced studies in both undergraduate and graduate programs in various higher educational institutions in Republic of Korea. 16 nominations will be sent, out of which only 8 will be selected. Scholarships are available for these courses:
- Korean language
- International Relations
- Electronics Engineering
- Graduate course - Master's or PhD course conducted in various graduate schools of Korean universities
- You & your parents should be Indian citizens
- You should not have Korean citizenship.
- Applicants should be fit enough, both physically and mentally to stay in a foreign country without much trouble.
- If the student is applying for an Undergraduate course, he should be under the age of 25 during the time of his entrance to the University.
- In case of a graduate student, the student's age should be 40 years during the time of his entrance to the University.
- Before applying for an Undergraduate course, students must complete formal education in elementary, middle and high school courses
- In case of a graduate student, students must hold a valid Bachelor's or Master's degree before starting his/her course.
- Students who have already enrolled or graduated from a Korean University are not eligible to apply for any of the courses.
- Students must possess a GPA above 80% from the last educational institution he/she has attended. Additionally, he/she must be in the top 20% of his/her class in terms of GPA.
All graduate students will be required to take Korean language training courses within the first year at the language institution they are placed. If they are placed in domestic universities, they will be attending mandatory Korean classes for one full year. This condition is however, not applicable for students who have already reached quite fluent in Korean language; in other words have managed to reach Level 5 in TOPIK.
What the scholarship offers
- Monthly allowance: 900,000 KRW - Paid at the beginning of each month
- Research allowance: This is applicable for Master's or PhD students. For Humanities or Social Sciences, 2010,000 KRW is paid and 240,000 KRW is paid for Natural science. The amount is paid in the beginning of each semester, twice a year.
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW - Paid once at arrival within 30 days after arriving at the university.
- Repatriation Allowance: 100,000 KRW - Paid once before departure within 15 days before departing from the university.
- Air fare: The actual amount is paid first on arrival and again before departing from the university.
- Tuition fees: 2,400,000 KRW for 4 semesters paid at the beginning of March, June, September and December.
- Language Training fee: The full amount is paid once for the February-March session and again on August-September session.
- Dissertation expenses: This is applicable for students pursuing Master's or PhD program. During the time of thesis completion, students will be eligible for 500,000 KRW to 800,000 KRW (actual amount) for dissertation printing costs.
- Medical insurance: 20,000 KRW will be given to students every month.
- Allowance for Excellence in Korean: 100,000 KRW is given to students every month.
Last date for applying
Indian students need to submit the online application on www.sakshat.ac.in for this scholarship program by 11 March, 2016 before 11.55pm.
Applications which are incomplete will not be considered valid. The final selection of the candidates depends on the selection committee of the Korean government. All details about shortlisted candidates and interview dates will be made available on the MHRD website.