University of Oxford's Rhodes Scholarship 2015 for Indian Students
Applications are being invited for Indian students who want to avail the University of Oxford's Rhodes Scholarships for the upcoming 2015 session.
Every year five scholarships are given to Indian students with excellent academic performance, chosen on the basis of the following:
|Application Forms Now Available|
- commitment to service
- leadership qualities
The scholarship is given for 2 years and is subject to your academic performance and behaviour over these two years. In certain cases the scholarship extended to the 3rd year as well. (Read: Conditions of tenure of Rhodes Scholarship) The scholarship which provides an annual stipend of approximately £13,390 will cover the following expenses:
- College fee
- Necessary living expenses (term time and vacations)
- Air travel fare (economy class) - to the United Kingdom and back to India after completion of studies.
Award of the scholarship is based primarily on academic performance. Globally, 83 scholars are chosen to be trained as global leaders. The first Indian scholarship was given in the year 1947 and since then such scholarships have been given to personalities such as:
- Mahesh Rangarajan (India and Balliol 1986): Researcher, historian and author who specialises in colonialism in India.
- Lavanya Rajamani (India and Hertford 1996): Advisor, writer in international environment law. Professor at the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi.
- Girish Karnad (India and Magdalen 1960): Film director, writer, playwright and actor.
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia (India and Magdalen 1964): Prominent policy maker in India, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India.
The scholarship entails all college and university fees, an annual stipend worth about 13,000 pounds, travel and health insurance and travelling expenses to and from University of Oxford.
- Availability of forms: forms available now at the official website
- Online applications: 1 June - 31 July, 2014
In order to apply, you must:
- Be a citizen of India
- Be a minimum of 19 and maximum 25 years of age as of 1 October, 2014
- Have at least one first class degree (Humanities, Sciences, Law, Engineering, Agriculture or Medicine) from an Indian university
If you are a student in your final year of college with an excellent academic record, you can also apply.
Courses open to Rhodes Scholarship
Rhodes scholars can apply to any full time post graduate course (as well as the BA (senior status) for 2 years) at the University of Oxford. Please note that if you plan to pursue the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) or the Masters of Financial Economics (MFE), only the 2nd year of scholarship would be tenable.
Applications are to be submitted online (https://apply.embark.com/scholarship/RhodesTrust/) with the following documents:
- Names of six references
- Proof of age from university or school
- Medical certificate
- Passport photographs
- Essay describing the proposed course and the purpose of following the course
- Formal evidence of degrees and courses earned
Applicants will be shortlisted firstly in the regional basis, after which they will be interviewed by a panel. If you are selected as a Rhodes scholar, you would be given the necessary information to apply to the University of Oxford. If you're applying for any of the PG courses, you must do so by early January, 2015. For 2nd BA, you must apply by 2 December, 2014. You will start your residence at Oxford by October, 2015.
For further enquiry contact:
- Professor Virander Chauhan, The Secretary, The Rhodes Scholarships in India, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, PO Number 10504, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067, India
- Telephone: +91 11 2674 2317, +91 11 2674 1260
- Fax: +91 11 2674 2316
- Mailing ID: email@example.com