Visa for Study in Canada
A Study Permit t is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a limited time, generally at a specific Canadian educational institution and in a specific program.
Visa Fee: The visa fee is payable in cash* (INR only) or by bank draft favoring "Canadian High Commission",or "Receiver General for Canada" (INR or CAD) payable at New Delhi. The visa fee for Indians wishing to study in Canada is Rs 5,470 or $125.
Documents Required: Citizenship and Immigration Canada will normally issue a Study Permit if an applicant has received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian educational institution, and possesses sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs. In some cases, Citizenship and Immigration Canada may require applicants to undergo medical examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.
Passport with at least six months validity:
- Please note that the Canadian High Commission does not accept additional pages inserted into passports. If you do not have a blank page to which a visa can be affixed, a new passport must be obtained before submitting your application.
- If possible, a passport should be valid for the duration of study in Canada, as the validity of a study permit cannot exceed the validity of the passport.
- Application Forms: Application form fully completed and appropriate to the type of visa requested with two original passport-size photographs [NB: digital photographs not acceptable
Minimum Processing Time
Due to the current high volume of applications, Temporary Resident Visitor Visa applications to visit Canada currently require 5 working days for an initial response (an initial response is an approved visa, refusal letter, request for documents, request to undergo medical exams or a request to attend a personal interview). We encourage you to adjust your planning accordingly. See the Processing Times page for processing times for temporary workers, and students.
Note: The days mentioned above are only indicative. The actual processing time is updated daily at the Visa Application Centre as per the current processing time taken by the Canadian High Commission. Please visit the centre for an updated time frame for your application”
Working in Canada as an International Student
Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada in limited situations. Students are required to arrive in Canada with sufficient money to live and pay their bills while studying. However, in some cases, a student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study:
- On campus without a Work Permit;
- Off campus with a Work Permit;
- In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.
- In addition, spouses/common-law partners of international students are eligible to work in Canada while their partners study.
Visa Application Centres in India
|3rd Floor, OM Tower, 32 Chowringhee Road, Kolkata-700 071|
0800 Hrs - 1200 Hrs
1300 Hrs - 1500 Hrs