Social Maners in Dubai
Social Manners and customs are given a lot of importance in UAE. Here are some of the social norms that you should follow while in Dubai:
- Men should always respect women, general courtesy should be applied.
- Men should never visit or go to places that are marked 'For Ladies Only'.
- One should not compliment females.
- Avoid using the elevator if you are a male and a single female is inside.
- Men can shake hand while greeting with a male, but never with a female, unless she offers her hand first.
- Remember that holding hands by two men is a sign of brotherly bonding, not that of a gay. Friends of the same sex kissing on the cheek, doing ‘nose kissing’ or hugging in public is normal, it is a sign of friendship.
- It is against the UAE law for people of different sex to kiss each other in public.
- Sexual relations outside of marriage are illegal and carry a prison sentence.
- Do not comment or criticize Islam, ruling families, local dress or traditions of the local people.
- Do not point the sole of your foot in the direction of an Arab, or other Asian for that matter. The foot is considered dirty and this gesture is highly offensive.
- Do not turn your back on someone who is speaking to you. It is seen as rude.
- Do not lose your patience or temper in front of an Arab; it is a sign of being rude and of a weak character.
- Accept hospitality by accepting offers of drink or food. Leave a little food on your plate if you are a guest, as a sign that you had enough.
- Remember to remove your shoes when entering an Arab house.
- Remember that after the meal, if coffee is served it is a sign that it is time to go.
- Do not enter a mosque and do not touch the Quran if you are not a Muslim.
- In case you are allowed to enter a mosque (two mosques in the UAE are open to the public), you should attend in proper clothing.
- You are not supposed to eat, drink and smoke in public in the day time during Ramadan.
- While on the public beach, all swimmers should wear conservative swimwear. Topless and bikinis are not proper. Never wear swimwear in streets or other public places.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Studying abroad- Learn from the Experts!
Got Questions? Get all your queries answered in-depth, along with important document templates! Download free e-book that'll serve as a perfect guide to study abroad!