Study Engineering in France
Image courtesy: efrei.fr
The quality of engineering education offered in the 250+ selective engineering colleges ("Grandes Ecoles d’Ingénieur") of France is considered exceptionally good as well as harder & finer than other parts of the world. This is mainly because these Grandes Ecoles of engineering are very choosy about their selection process admitting only the best students. The standard of the engineering curriculum across French engineering schools is also top-notch - a combination of rigourous theoretical training in scientific concepts and practical training in engineering principles.
The “Commission des Titres d’Ingénieur” (CTI) (National Commission for Engineering Degrees) is the French engineering accrediting organization that regulates the standard of engineering education in France.
|Planning to Study Abroad? Apply Here, Now!
Types of engineering degrees in France
- Typically, an engineering degree is granted in France only after pursuing at least 5 years of study (in various formats.) This 5 year French engineering degree is known as Diplôme d'Ingénieur and is equivalent to the European “Masters degree” & the "Master of Science in Engineering" in the USA.
- Specialized engineering degree: Around 20 engineering schools in France offer this specialization course in a specific field. This is a 1 year course for engineering students who have studied engineering for 5 years and is a 2 year course for those who have pursued only 4 years of higher education in engineering.
- Specialized Master ® (MS): This is an accredited and a trademark degree offered only by member engineering colleges of the Conference of Grandes Ecoles (CGE) in France. This degree was created in 1983 in response to the demand from French companies for graduates with specialized knowledge & expertise in specific domains. This would be a very focused & technically oriented course.
|Study Abroad Applications Now Open|
Types of engineering colleges in France
The engineering universities in France are divided into two groups:
- Conférence des Directeurs des Ecoles Françaises d'Ingénieurs (CDEFI): Collection of public & private colleges recognized by CTI to bestow the degree of ingénieur diplômé (graduate engineer.)
- Conférence des Grandes Ecoles (CGE): Association of grandes ecoles in not just engineering but also management, administration, arts, sciences, and some specialized fields - all recognized by the French government and that give a national diploma.
Network n+i (nplusi)
The "n+i" network is a group of 70+ French engineering schools that offers a range of master's programs that will help students build a great international career.
|Your Study Abroad Dreams Can Come True. Apply Now!
Top 9 Engineering Universities in France
As per the US News Best Global Universities Rankings 2016, the top universities in France to study engineering are:
Campus of Université Joseph Fourier (Grenoble I)
1. Joseph Fourier University (UJF) - Grenoble 1 (Now Grenoble Alpes University)
2. Grenoble Institute of Technology
3. Université de Lorraine
4. Pierre and Marie Curie University - Paris 6
5. École Polytechnique
6. Université Paul Sabatier - Toulouse 3
7. Université de Lille I
8. Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
9. University of Montpellier