Cost of Living in France
Estimated Living Expenses in France:
- Accommodation costs from EURO 120 to EURO 380 per month.
- Food costs from EURO 130 to EURO 150 at university restaurants per month.
- Health Care costs from EURO 380 to EURO 750 per month.
- Miscellaneous items (transport & leisure) cost EURO 100 per month.
For a student pursuing an Undergraduate program, the living expense range between EURO 10000 to 18000 per year.
For a student pursuing a Postgraduate program, the living expense range between EURO 18000 to 30000 per year.
Average Monthly Budget in France:
- Private apartment can cost 600 Euros
- Food and meals can cost 200 Euros
- Health insurance can cost 42 Euros
- Local transportation can cost 51 Euros
- School supplies can cost 45 Euros
- Amusements and recreation costs 100 Euros
- Miscellaneous items costs 100 Euros
The cost of compulsory medical insurance is approximately Euro 130 to Euro 715, per year depending on the age of the student.
- The cost of language training in France is approximately Euro 350 per month. It is advisable to learn French from recognized learning centers before leaving for France.
- An individual usually spends 100 euro per week on grocery items and food consumption.
- Coats and jackets can range from 50 euro up to several thousands depending on the material.
- TGV to Paris costs 20 to 50 Euros for one way.
Managing your money :
- Major credit cards such as Visa and MasterCard, are accepted by most merchants for payments in excess of 15 Euros. Automated teller machines (ATM) are readily available in cities.
- The French make extensive use of checks. However, checks drawn on foreign banks are rarely accepted by French merchants.
- The Euro is now the sole currency used for all cash transactions in France.