Germany - An Affordable Study Abroad Destination!
Image Courtesy: www.eupedia.com
Germany, also popularly known as Deutschland, has a rich history with vibrant cities, picturesque countryside, amazing culture and a country dotted with palaces and abbeys. If you are planning to pursue your higher education abroad, then Germany is definitely a great choice! It is considered to be a very popular study abroad destination among students internationally.
|Application Forms Now Available|
A reputed destination for science & research, Germany's education system offers state of the art institutions, which are mainly divided into universities, colleges of art and music and universities of applied sciences. Although a wide majority of universities are state-owned and financed, there are also a number of top universities managed by churches and private institutions that are officially recognized by the state.
Study in Germany! Applications Open for:
Major Cities: Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg
Time Zone: 3.5 hours behind India
Currency: Euro (€)
Language Spoken: German
There are several reasons why you should chose to study in Germany. Here are just some of them:
- As majority of German universities are state-owned, they charge no or very low tuition fees! (Read: Cost of study in Germany) In addition, the state also offers many scholarships and aid to meritorious students.
- There are over 300 state-regulated universities, around 150 Universities of Applied Science and over 50 colleges of art, film and music.
- You have a choice of a wide variety of courses offered in the state-of-the-art universities in Germany.
- Although over 500 international degree programs use English as a medium of instruction, you can even opt for learning German language by enrolling yourself in German Language Courses at the University free of charge!
- The education system in Germany offers a choice between universities, colleges of art and music and universities of applied sciences. Whereas varsities stress on research and science, the universities offering Applied Sciences focus more on practical approach aimed towards professional competence. On the other hand, colleges of art and music provide courses in the creative and visual arts along with music and performing arts.
- Work while you earn in Germany! The study visa in Germany allows you to work for 90 days or 180 half days in a year. You can also stay in Germany for a year after your graduation to find a job and if you are successful, you can even get a permanent residence permit!
Also read: How can students from India get a student visa to study in Germany
- All the universities welcome foreign students as long as the entrance requirements are met and you have visa permit.
- With more than 4000 Indian students already studying in Germany, you might just feel at home!
Hope you now have a comprehensive answer to "Why study in Germany?" However if you still need a few more reasons, the beautiful and historic cities of Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich will provide plenty! Read: Why Germany as a study destination? 5 reasons!
Technical University of Munich is the highest ranked university in Germany (Image Courtesy: www.pf.bgu.tum.de)
Top 10 universities of Germany
There are a number of German universities that feature in the top universities in the world according to the QS World University rankings and the top 10 are listed below.
- Technische Universität München (Technical University of Munich)
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg (Heidelberg University)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich)
- Kit, Karlsruher Institut Für Technologie (Kit , Karlsruhe Institute for Technology)
- Freie Universität Berlin (Free University of Berlin)
- Humboldt-Universität Zu Berlin (Humboldt University of Berlin)
- Universität Freiburg (University of Freiburg)
- Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen (RWTH Aachen University)
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (Georg-August-University Goettingen)
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen (University of Tübingen)
Study in Germany! Applications Open for:
Tuition Fees and Cost of Living in Germany:
One of the best things about higher studies in Germany is its low tuition fees. Most of the universities in Germany belong to the state hence they offer free or minimal fee for studies. One has to pay only administrative fees each year which costs 100-200 Euros ( INR 7547 to 15094). However, there are some private universities which charge steep tuition fees which start from 20000 Euros (INR 1509454).
It takes around 540 to 670 Euros per month (INR 40755 – 50566) to put up in the major cities in Germany depending on one's lifestyle.
Click on the links below for further information on higher education in Germany:
"Germany says 'willkommen' to foreign students," 17 July, 2014, http://www.dw.de/germany-says-willkommen-to-foreign-students/a-17790362
Check out this video to have more information on Germany:
Watch how studying in Germany has opened up new horizons for six students from India, Saudi Arabia, the United States, Russia, Colombia and Great Britain: