How to Get a Student Visa for Germany - Students from India
Germany offers very high standard of higher education, making it a popular destination for Indian and international students to pursue their study abroad dreams. But in order to realize these dreams, it is important to get your German student visa in place. There are different types of German visas depending on your higher studies' status:
3 Types of Visas in Germany for Study Purpose
- Language Course Visa: Choose to apply for this visa if you want to learn the German language or need to learn it before applying to a German university. The validity of the "language course visa" will be for the same duration as the German language course - 3 months - 1 year.
- Student Applicant Visa: If you want to stay in Germany and spend some time trying to decide which course to study OR if there's a delay in receiving the admission letter from your chosen university, then a"student applicant visa" valid for 3 months is issued. This visa can be extended for another 6 months.
- Student Visa: If you're an Indian student who has already received the admission letter from your chosen German university, then you just need to apply for the "student visa."
How to get Student Visa for Germany from India:
Follow these step-by-step instructions to understand the complete process of getting a "student visa" from India, to study in Germany
1. Ensure that you have the following documents ready:
a. A valid passport that was issued within the last 10 years and that will remain valid for at least another year after your scheduled return from German
b. One A4 sized copy of your passport's data page (the page that has your name, photo, parents' info
c. 3 passport-sized photographs
d. A cover letter written by you that explains the exact reason & time-period of your stay in Germany
e. A soft copy of the admission letter from the German university that has offered you a seat
f. If paid, then proof of payment of tuition fees
g. Proof of proficiency in English language (if your course is going to be taught in German, then proof of your proficiency in German language will be needed)
For proof of proficiency in English language, Take the TOEFL Test.
i. Travel health insurance that covers you from the date you leave India till the date you join the university
j. Proof that you have enough money to survive in Germany while you pursue your chosen course there. This proof can be given via any of these 4 methods:
I. Proof that you will be receiving a scholarship or stipend
II. A "formal obligation letter" from a sponsor who already resides in Germany
III. Proof of the existence of a blocked account in your name (preferably with Kotak Mahindra Bank in India rather than Deutsche Bank in Germany) that has at least € 8,640 (₹ 6.5 lakh approx) deposited in it. (Click to read all about opening blocked accounts)
IV. Confirmation from a German bank that it will provide you with an annually renewable bank guarantee of around € 8,640 (₹ 6.5 lakh approx.)
2. Fill this application form for national visa, take its printout, sign it and submit it with these aforementioned documents.
3. You also need to fill and sign a declaration form stating that all the info you provide is true.
4. Schedule an appointment for visa interview in any one of the German embassy/ consulate in India (Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai)
5. Make a DD for the visa fee (€ 60 (₹ 4,600 approx)) issued in favour of your respective embassy/ German consulate and submit it during the visa interview. This fee won't be returned to you in case your visa application is rejected
After visa application process is complete, it can take anywhere from 1 - 2 months for your student visa to study in Germany to reach you. To be on the safer side, you must start your visa application process at least 2-3 months before your course in Germany commences.