TOEFL Exam 2019- Eligibility, Registration, Dates, Fees, Benefits
|Table of Content|
|TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT|
|TOEFL Eligibility Criteria|
|TOEFL Exam Pattern|
|TOEFL Exam Registration|
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. TOEFL test is a standardized English proficiency test that measures the ability of non-native English speakers. The TOEFL scores are accepted by many universities and are also used for screening the fluency of English for potential job applicants and for immigration visas around the world. Some universities consider TOEFL test as a mandatory requirement for admission purposes.
Universities located in countries such as the United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, The United Kingdom, and many other exemplary regions are advocates of TOEFL exam.
|Application Forms Now Available|
TOEFL Exam details
|Name of the Exam||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Exam Mode||Online | Paper-Based|
|Number of Sections||Four|
|Duration||3 hours 20 minutes | 4 hours 20 minutes|
Types of TOEFL
TOEFL is an extremely reliant examination. The test has two modes iBT and PBT you can choose either a mode of examination according to your preference.
What is TOEFL iBT?
iBT stands for the Internet-based test. The TOEFL iBT test is conducted through online mode, the method of evaluating English fluency skills is the same. It evaluates an individual’s English fluency skills on Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking parameters.
What is TOEFL PBT?
PBT stands for Paper-based test. This type of test is conducted on paper, the TOEFL PBT examines an individual’s fluency in the English language on parameters of Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking.
However, both these tests have some notable differences. To understand better refer the following table defining major differences between TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT –
|Classification||TOEFL iBT||TOEFL PBT|
|Full form||TOEFL Internet-Based Test||
TOEFL Paper Based Test
|Sections||Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking||Reading, Writing, Listening and Structure|
|Time||4 hours||3 hours|
|Fees||USD 140 - USD 185||USD 140|
TOEFL Exam Eligibility
Indian students aspiring to study abroad can especially benefit from appearing for the TOEFL test. The TOEFL test is reliable in many ways. The TOEFL Exam Eligibility is favorable to students aspiring to study overseas. If you are an individual who has acquired their 10+2 certificate, you are easily eligible to appear for the TOEFL test. Anyone with an aspiration to study abroad can not only acquire the seat to study abroad but will also end up brushing up their English fluency skills.
TOEFL Exam Dates
TOEFL is undoubtedly a great choice of English proficiency examination especially if you are aiming to pursue your higher education in countries such as the USA, The UK, Germany, New Zealand, and Australia. The TOEFL test covers and conducts the examination in the majority of the Indian region, therefore, finding a TOEFL center near you is simple.
The TOEFL test dates are also pliable, the exam is conducted at least 5 times each month leaving enough time for you to prepare for your exciting future. You can schedule and book a center for your TOEFL test near you by visiting their official website.
Countries that accept TOEFL scores
The TOEFL examination is often referred to be the ticket to foreign universities. With augmenting your over-all adaptability towards the English language, the test happens to boost your confidence skills as well. Many countries and universities are advocates of this proficiency test. You can visit the TOEFL website to get the list of countries that accept the TOEFL scores for immigration visas and higher education.
The TOEFL test has been designed in a student-friendly manner. The candidate’s comfortable with the paper-pen format can choose TOEFL PBT (Paper – Based Test). On the other hand, individuals who find the internet mode of examination as their source of comfort can choose TOEFL iBT. The scoring system of TOEFL PBT is different than that of TOEFL iBT. Therefore, understanding these scores separately in an explicit manner with parameters of exam pattern is recommendable.
TOEFL Exam Pattern
TOEFL iBT Exam Pattern
TOEFL iBT is an English proficiency test that is administered via the Internet. The TOEFL iBT exam pattern is categorized into FOUR sections namely – Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
|TOEFL Exam Section||Duration|
|Reading||60 - 80 minutes|
SECTION 1 – Reading
- 3 to 4 passages will be given based on which 36 to 56 questions will be asked.
- You can expect each passage to be around 700 words on average
- Practice to complete to each passage in 20 minutes duration
- You are required to reading the passages and answer the questions accordingly
- All the questions in this section are in Multiple Choice format where the answer can either be one of the four given options or two of the four given options
- The questions and passages will be based on Academic topics
- Your ability to read English is measured on a scale of 0 to 30
SECTION 2 – Listening
- Listen to short audio consisting of classroom discussions, lectures, and conversations
- Question asked in this section are in the form of Multiple-Choice, Binary answers and, Charts.
- Listen carefully and answer the provided questions accordingly
- This section is comprised of about 34 to 51 questions
- Your ability to listen and understand to the English based context is measured on a scale of 0 to 30
SECTION 3- Speaking
- The speaking section is designed to make to examine the ability to speak in English on the provided topic
- You are required to state your opinion on that topic accordingly
- The topics in this particular section are based on personal experience, preference, course topics or are merely situation based
- You are expected to complete 6 given tasks in this section
- Your ability to speak and understand English contextual words and phrases are measured on a scale of 0 to 30
SECTION 4 – Writing
- Put your reading and listening skills to use in this section
- The writing section is divided into two categories – Integrated Writing and Independent Writing
- In the integrated writing section, individuals are required to read and listen to a lecture excerpt.
- Your task here is to listen or read the provided audio or context carefully and write a passage on exactly 150 words to 225 words. You will be given 20 minutes to completed the Integrated Writing section
- A topic will be provided to you for putting together a piece for the Independent Writing section
- After carefully gathering the needed information, you are required to write an essay that must consist of at least 300 words. The Independent Writing task must be completed in 30 minutes
- Your ability to understand and write English is measured on a scale of 0 to 30
TOEFL PBT Exam Pattern
TOEFL PBT is an English Proficiency test that is conducted in paper and pen format. It is specifically for individuals who reside in a region that is not internet-aided. Individuals who prefer PBT over iBT exam can also apply for this type of TOEFL test, contact the TOEFL center in your region for more information.
The TOEFL PBT Exam pattern consists of FOUR sections viz. – Listening, Structure and Written, Reading, and Writing
|TOEFL Exam Section||Duration|
|Listening||30 - 40 minutes|
|Structure and Written||25 minutes|
SECTION 1 - Listening
- In the listening section, candidates are required to answer 50 questions in about 30 to 40 minutes
- Questions asked in this section are Multiple-Choice based.
- The listening section is divided into three segments with short conversations, long conversations, and lectures or talks respectively.
- The segments consist of 30 questions, 8 questions, and 12 questions respectively
- In the TOEFL PBT listening section, your ability to listen and understand English context is measured on a scale of 31 to 68
SECTION 2 - Structure and Written Expression
- The structure and written expression consists of 40 questions, that you are required to answer in 25 minutes
- The questions are structured with questions that require sentence completion and identifying errors in given phrases. To conclude, this section examines your understanding in regards to English Grammar
- In the TOEFL PBT Structure and Written Expression segment, your ability to understand English grammar is measured on a scale of 31 to 68
SECTION 3 - Reading
- The reading section consists of 50 Multiple Choice Questions
- Your task is to read the provided passages and choose the suitable answers from the provided options
- You will be given 55 minutes to complete the Reading segment of TOEFL PBT
- In the TOEFL PBT reading section, your ability to read and understand English is measured on a scale of 31 to 68
SECTION 4 - The Test of Written English (TWE)
- The test of written English consists of a passage that either needs justification or requires building an argument
- Your task is to read the provided context and build an essay of about 250 to 300 words
- You will be given 30 minutes to complete the TWE segment of TOEFL Paper-based test
- In the TOEFL PBT Test of Written English section, your ability to write English is measured on a scale of 0 to 5
- This is the only section of TOEFL PBT exam where the score is measured on a different scale
TOEFL Scoring System
The method of calculating scores for TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT are different. Both these exams have unique test administration techniques as well. However, you can be rest assured that TOEFL tests are examined by high-quality experts around the world. Let's learn more about the scoring system of TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT in detail –
TOEFL iBT scoring system
- Section-wise scores are calculated for TOEFL iBT
- All the four sections of the TOEFL iBT test are measured on a scale of 0-30. The total score of TOEFL iBT test is 120.
- The Reading and Listening sections are performance calculation are on the merits of – High, Intermediate and Low. Whereas, Speaking and Writing sections are performance calculation are on the merits of – Good, Fair, Limited and Weak.
- The Speaking and Writing section TOEFL iBT test has its own set of tasks. Each task performed in these sections is measured on the scale of 0-5.
- The test is examined by experts and computers
- You can find your TOEFL scores in 10 days post appearing for the test in your email inbox. You can also expect your printed TOEFL iBT scores within 13 days after undertaking the exam.
- A total in between the range of 84 to 110 is considered to be great TOEFL score at universities overseas
TOEFL PBT scoring system
- Section-wise scores are calculated for TOEFL PBT
- All the four sections of the TOEFL PBT exam are measured on separate merits. Each section of TOEFL PBT is measured on the scale of 31 to 68, except for the Test of Written English. TWE is measured on a scale of 0 to 5. The total score of TOEFL PBT test is not provided.
- The test is examined by experts at ETS and is also verified by computers.
- You will receive your TOEFL PBT scores in approximately 5 weeks. Therefore, if you are planning to appear for TOEFL PBT our suggestion to you is to structure a timeline and follow it accordingly
Types of TOEFL Exam Registration
TOEFL Online Registration
The online registration process of the TOEFL test is quick and easy to follow. With only 4 steps of completion, you will be registered for the TOEFL examination. Several students have benefitted by undertaking the TOEFL examination around the world. You can register for either of TOEFL tests by visiting their official website. For completing your exam registration you will be needed to assemble some basic details. You can register for your TOEFL test by accessing the internet at any time, it is open 24 hours in 7 days of a week.
If you are planning to appear for your TOEFL exam in the near future, follow these steps –
- Visit TOEFL website
- Select the TOEFL test you wish to appear for (TOEFL iBT or TOEFL PBT)
- Schedule your TOEFL exam date by choosing a day provided by ETS
- Background information (Name, Address, Gender, etc.) – Please note that information you fill out in the form must be the same as your Passport.
- Payment (Debit cards, Credit cards, PayPal or e-check is accepted)
TOEFL Phone registration
You can also register for your TOEFL exam by talking to the executives of TOEFL. This type of TOEFL registration is care-free as it will be handled by the interactive experts at TOEFL exam center confirming to assign you a seat for your TOEFL 2019 test. If you planning to register for your TOEFL test via phone, we recommend you to do the needed at least 7 days before the exam.
Here’s what you need to do to schedule your TOEFL exam via phone –
- Visit TOEFL website
- Select your region and find a phone number allocated for your region
- Provide the needed details and schedule your TOEFL examination
- You will have to transact your TOEFL registration/exam fee through Credit card or Debit card or Paypal or an e-check
TOEFL Mail registration
Another convenient method to register for your TOEFL exam. This method is also easy to lead, make sure you schedule your TOEFL test via email at least a month before you plan to appear for the exam.
Follow these steps to register for TOEFL examination via E-mail –
- Download and fill the TOEFL registration form
- You can choose the method of payment
- Send out the filled copy and payment receipt to RRC. You can find the contact details on TOEFL’s website
You can schedule your TOEFL test by choosing your convenient type of registration. To book a slot for your TOEFL test you will need to complete the payment method by Credit card, Debit Card, Paypal or an e-check. The remit method is applicable to both the TOEFL exams. The below-mentioned figures are what you would need to apply for the TOEFL test 2019 –
- TOEFL iBT fees range from USD 160 to USD 250. iBT fee charges depend on the region
- TOEFL PBT charges are USD 180 worldwide
- If you fail to register for TOEFL test within the required time frame, charges of USD 40 will be added as late fees
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times is the TOEFL test conducted?
The TOEFL examination is conducted 50 times each year.
Can I retake my TOEFL test?
Yes, you can choose to re-appear for TOEFL test. All you need to make sure is that you have at least 12 days of a breach before scheduling for the next test.
What is the validity of TOEFL scores?
The TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years
How to send my TOEFL scores to universities?
You can send your TOEFL scores to your preferred university by visiting your profile on the TOEFL website. Click on scores tab on the website after this step select or choose your desired university to send your TOEFL scorecard.
Can I cancel my TOEFL test?
Yes, you can cancel or reschedule your TOEFL exam. However, it is recommended that you make the required changes at least a week before the scheduled test to be applicable for a partial refund of TOEFL fees. In case, the request is not accepted – there will be no refund.
How to prepare for TOEFL?
There are several resources available online that intend to help you with TOEFL preparation. It is also advised for you to practice your English speaking skills by reading and staying up to date with current happenings.