Study In Malaysia
The Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|Application Forms Now Available|
Malaysia presents a blissful blend of multi-culturalism, modern lifestyle and colors. It is a popular holiday destination today, attracting travelers from around the world. However, that is one side of this truly interesting country. Of late, Malaysia is being recognized as a global education hub. UNESCO ranks it as the 11th most preferred study abroad destination in the world that accounts for 2% of total international population. As of 2015, Malaysia is home to more than 1.5 lakh foreign students (as per the country's Higher Education ministry.) The ministry aims to take this number up to 2 lakh international students by the year 2020.
Capital - Kuala Lumpur
Official Currency - Malaysian Ringgit (symbol: RM, currency code: MYR) [1 ringgit=16.60 Indian Rupees]
Languages spoken – Bahasa Malaysia, Malay, English, Chinese, Indian languages (tamil, malayalam, hindi etc.), Thai
(Read: Common phrases in Malay)
For students in India aspiring to study in Malaysia, good news is that the country provides excellent education system that stands at par with global standards.
|Applications Now Open For|
Top Cities in Malaysia to Study
The top cities that provide best-in-class education in Malaysia are Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Malaysia Borneo, and Johor Bahru. With its vibrant atmosphere, rich cultural diversity, cosmopolitan lifestyle, and several prominent universities and institutions, Malaysia is a wise choice for aspiring students looking for a good educational experience.
Top Universities in Malaysia
The best universities in the country are renowned names such as Universiti Malaya, Universiti Putra Malaysia, and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM.) A unique feature of Malaysia is that many foreign universities have set up campuses in the country offering affordable degrees.
(Read: Popular universities in Malaysia)
Courses of Study
There are several reasons why one should try to attain their higher education in Malaysia. Here are a few reasons:
I) Malaysia has affordable tuition fees and cost of living as compared to other countries. Estimated cost of study for Bachelor degree ranges between USD 8,600 and USD 108, 600 across different streams and specializations.
II) Education in Malaysia is booming and universities are consistently ranking high in terms of excellence in academics, recognized faculty members, cutting-edge infrastructure, multi-culturalism, and top industry placements.
III) Flourishing economy, political stability, vibrant cosmopolitan lifestyle, and growing significance globally are some reasons that make Malaysia a preferred choice to study abroad.
IV) In just USD $5,000, one can expect to live extremely comfortably in this country. (Read: Cost of living in Malaysia) In addition to this, a safe and stable environment for international students makes Malaysia a preferred destination for higher education.
Foreign Universities, Local Fees
There are several international campuses run by universities from other countries. This has given the higher education of Malaysia a major boost. These international universities offer a variety of courses at local rates.
The University of Nottingham (UK) which has been in Malaysia for quite a long time, offers student exchange programmes where they can study in Nottingham for a few weeks depending on grades. The Malaysian campus has been ranked "excellent" by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education. At the Malaysia branch, you need to pay just half the UK tuition fee!
Offering a 5 year medical programme, the Newcastle University of Medicine is yet another foreign university in Malaysia. The cost of this program in Malaysian campus is 40% lesser than the UK campus. The fee structure for the Malaysian students is RM 95,000 per year, while foreign students need to pay RM 105,000.
Similarly, while international students have to shell out an average of £12,000 for undergraduate courses at the University of Reading's UK campus, the same courses will cost them only 1/3rd (£4,500 to £5,000) at the Malaysian campus (UoRM.)
EduCity Iskandar in the city of Johor has been developed by Malaysia as an education hub and consists mainly of universities & other higher education institutes, recreation & sports facilities for students, accommodation facilities for international students, R&D centres, schools and more. The aim of EduCity is to create a vibrant learning environment in the country, not just for its own students but also for international students from Asia and the world planning to study abroad in Malaysia.
The EduCity is just half an hour away from Singapore (thanks to the Malaysia–Singapore Second Link bridge) and therefore has been attracting a lot of Singaporean students as well. The student population in EduCity Iskandar has jumped from 530 in the year 2012 to 4000+ by 2016.
Malaysian institutes as well as international names have either already started functioning in this 350+ acre campus or are planning to by 2017:
- Marlborough College Malaysia (MCM) - Started in August 2012 offering boarding & day school education in Iskandar for 5 - 18 year olds
- Newcastle University (Medicine) - started functioning in 2011 offering undergraduate degrees in Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, as well as opportunities for postgraduate study
- Raffles University (Iskandar - RUI) - it will have the largest campus within the EduCity - 65 acres
- Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology (NMIT) - Established in 2011, offering courses in maritime transportation, port & shipping management, logistics, maritime law & more. Its courses are recognized in Europe & other parts of the world
- University of Southampton (Malaysia campus - USMC) - Offering undergraduate engineering degrees in Malaysia since 2012. Is among UK's top 5 engineering colleges.
- University of Reading (Malaysia - UoRM) - started operations in 2016, offering undergraduate programs in Finance and Business Management, Psychology, Quantity Surveying and Real Estate as well as an MBA through its Henley Business School.
- Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS) - it will offer courses in Business, Mass Communication and Digital Media, Information Technology, and Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Malaysia’s Multimedia University (MMU) (in partnership with the University of Southern California (USC), it will offer a Cinematic Arts Degree)
- The Johann Cruyff Institute Malaysia (JCIM) for Sports Studies, a sports management school started by the Dutch soccer star Johann Cruyff, will offer courses such as Online International Master of Sports Management (e-MISM), Online Football Management Degree (FMD) and Sport Business Fundamental Online Program (SBF)
- Raffles American School - a secondary school with American style curricula
For further information, please refer to the following articles:
- Admission Procedure
- Application Procedure
- Bachelor Degree Courses
- Banks and Foreign Exchange
- Education System
- Health Insurance
- Important Courses
- Important Facts
- Important Vocabulary
- List of Festivals
- List of Indian Restaurants
- Living in Malaysia
- Master Degree Courses
- Places to Visit
- Study and Work Permit
- Summer Programmes
- Transport System
- Why Malaysia
Check out this video to have more information on Malaysia