Study Pass (Visa) & Work Permit in Malaysia for International Students
Malaysia's Ministry of Higher Education has launched a service (Education Malaysia Global Services "EMGS") that makes applying for student pass or student visa easier for international students planning to study in Malaysia.
In case you're an Indian student who has received an admission letter from a public university in Malaysia or a Malaysian Private Higher Education Institution (such as a private university, private college and foreign university branch campus); then you may apply for your student visa/ pass through the EMGS website (educationmalaysia.gov.my)
You also have the option of applying for the student pass through your institute (this is the current process.)
What is the Student Pass to study in Malaysia?
Malaysia's immigration department issues the student pass on a yearly as a multiple entry visa (MEV) if you have been admitted to an approved institute/ course in Malaysia.
Documents required to get a new Student Pass in Malaysia
In order to get a new student pass, you must furnish the following documents:
- Original or copy of offer letter from the Malaysian university/ institute
- One signed copy of IMM 14 (student pass application form) completed and downloaded from EMGS
- 2 passport size photographs with BLUE background (3.5cm x 5cm)
- A copy each of ALL certified pages of passport (including special pass and/or exit stamp, where applicable)
- 1 copy of special pass and/or passport page with exit stamp (where applicable)
- A passport valid for at least 1 year from the day you enter Malaysia
- A copy of academic and other certificates certified as per requirement of EMGS or by the IHE if the IHE has seen the original certificates or the original certified true copy
- Pre-arrival Medical Examination Report from India
- Typed or hand written personal bond form that should be stamped (Personal bond is a certain amount of money to be paid to your educational institution as a security deposit; students from India need to pay RM 750 i.e. approximately Rs.11,900 as personal bond)
Once EMGS receives your application, your student pass would be ready within 14 working days. You can also download their app to track the progress.
Cost for Malaysian Student Visa
The fee involved to process the student pass/ student visa to study in Malaysia varies depending on a lot f factors like your institution (private/ public), the type of health insurance you choose.
Work Permit in Malaysia
Students are allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week only during semester breaks or holidays of more than 7 days; in Restaurants, Petrol Kiosks, Mini Markets and Hotels as long as the Student Pass remains valid. Students are not permitted to work as a cashier. In addition, in the hotel sector, students are not allowed to work as singer, masseur, musician, GRO and other activities deemed to be considered immoral as per the Malaysian law. Application to work part-time must be made through the educational institution in which the student is studying.
Documents Required For Work Permit in Malaysia
Following documents are required:
- Visa Application Form filled completely and duly signed by the applicant.
- The Applicant should have a passport valid for at least 9 months from the date of entry into Malaysia.
- Two passport-size recent photographs (35 mm width x 45 mm height) against a white background pasted and not stapled on the application form.
- A typed covering letter from the applicant stating the purpose of visit.
- Letter from the company / institution in Malaysia.
- A Work Permit Approval from the Immigration Department in Malaysia (in original).
Please note this Approval Copy is received in a sealed envelope and should not be opened by the Applicant
- Confirmed air ticket.
- Original copy of VDR Approval Letter from Malaysian Immigration Department
- An entry visa is issued, and period of stay is granted at the time of entry into Malaysia.
Processing time is strictly 3 working days.