Working While Studying in New Zealand
As an international student in New Zealand, you may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year. You may also work full time during the Christmas and New Year holiday period.
However, if you wish to work in New Zealand while studying you need to apply for a variation of conditions to your student permit as part of your application for student visa or application.
All you need to do is to tick the option of E2 of the Student Visa/Permit Application (INZ 1012). You can also apply for a variation of conditions at a later date as long as the permit is current.
Applying for a variation of conditions while holding a student permit will allow you to:
- work during or between the academic years, or
- change the course you are studying, or the course provider.
You will need to complete the form Application for Variation of Conditions (INZ 1020). You will have
to pay a fee if you are applying for a variation of conditions.
Working During the Academic Year
You need not have an offer letter while applying for a variation of conditions but you must fulfill the following criteria:
- The course is at least two years long and you are studying at a private training establishment
- or tertiary institution.
- The course is at least one academic year long and you are taking part in an approved tertiary
- exchange scheme.
- Migrant Category of Immigration New Zealand’s Residence Policy.
- The course leads to a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points under the Skilled
- You are studying in year 12 or year 13 and you have written permission from your school and your parents.
- The course is at a private training establishment or tertiary institution, and the main purpose of the course is to develop English language skills. You must also have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above in the general academic module.
Jobs are advertised in:
- College Notice Boards
- Employment News
- Online job portals
|Application Forms Now Available|
Studying abroad- Learn from the Experts!
Got Questions? Get all your queries answered in-depth, along with important document templates! Download free e-book that'll serve as a perfect guide to study abroad!