Eligibility For Singapore University Admission
University Admission in Singapore
With the reputation of being one of the most developed countries not just in Asia but globally, Singapore is turning out to be a go-to destination for international students especially Indians. Great infrastructure, quality of education, world-class colleges and universities, and affordability are some of the many reasons why international students frequent this education hub of Asia.
Government funded universities, private colleges, and international universities makes up the whole education bubble in Singapore.
Let's learn more about the university admission process below.
- Completion of higher secondary schooling or pre-university education and a passing certificate of GCE “O” level examination from Singapore is a must.
- An equivalent qualification of minimum 12 years of schooling from another country is required to apply for all the undergraduate courses in Singapore. Further, to apply for postgraduate studies, one should have completed minimum 3-4 years of undergraduate studies depending on which program the student is willing to take up, i.e. Masters or Doctoral.
- The 4-year bachelors degree offered is similar to the one offered in India.
- For applying to a MBA course in Singapore universities are required to hold a bachelors degree and 2-3 years of work experience.
- Moreover, since English is the medium of education in Singapore, students must be fluent in reading, writing, speaking and listening in English.
The academic session for most of the universities in Singapore begins in the month of August. One should begin searching and applying for the course and college of their choice 6 months prior to the application closing date. This is advisable so that one can fulfill other requirements during this period of time viz. financial arrangements, accommodation, visa work, etc.
The application forms are available on the official websites of all the universities in Singapore and can be downloaded from there. Preference is given to candidates who submit their applications ahead of time.
- Entrance Exams: Universities conduct entrance exams and a good score in those is a must to secure a place in that particular university.
- GMAT: Anyone seeking admission for management or management related courses at either the masters or doctoral level are required to give GMAT and submit their scores along with the application form to the university.
- IELTS/TOEFL: All international students who do not have English as the medium of education are required to take either IELTS or TOEFL English proficiency exam. Each university has a different criteria with respect to the minimum score required in each of these exams and one should get the desired score.
- Certified copies of transcripts, mark sheets, and other certificates is to be submitted to the universities.
- All the documents to be submitted should be in English
- All the marks received so far should be converted into the grading system that is followed by Singapore universities.
- IELTS/TOEFL and GMAT scores should be submitted to the university along with the application form.
- A detailed CV, a work experience certificate of 2-3 years and a letter of recommendation is a must for anyone seeking admission into MBA.
- Along with all the documents mentioned above, a statement of purpose is necessary for anyone seeking admission into the doctoral programs of the universities in Singapore.
- Other than these documents, one will have to submit birth certificate, domicile certificate and/or identity proofs as well.