How to Apply for MS Master's Program in USA
The Masters in Science (MS) degree is a 2 year graduate course of study in the US for someone with a bachelor's degree in science. It may be entirely course-based, entirely research-based or (more typically) a mixture.
In the US, an MS degree is awarded for science, engineering, technological programs that generally focus on scientific & mathematical subjects.
|Application Forms Now Available|
In contrast, Indian colleges offer a Masters in Science (M.Sc) for specializing in pure science (M.Sc Physics, M.Sc Chemistry), Masters in Technology (M.Tech) for technological courses and a Masters in Engineering (M.E) for engineering programs.
Eligibility to study MS in the US
- You must be a graduate of an accredited undergraduate engineering curriculum or equivalent. Generally, to enroll for an MS degree, one must have undergone 16 (12 + 4) years of education. Which is why it is common to see maximum number of Indian students pursuing MS from the US after B.Tech (4 years) from India.
- MS from US after 3 year B.Sc from India? This is difficult since most US universities ask for 16 years of education before applying for masters. If you have pursued a B.Sc in India i.e. 15 (12 + 3) years of education, then you must take up a master's program or a 1 year diploma program, or take substantial prerequisite courses as specified by the department, depending on the university they are applying to.
Application process for MS in the US
The step-by-step application process for applying to US Universities for an MS programme has been explained below:
- Decide if you want to apply for the "fall" semester (starts in September) or "spring" semester (starts in January.)
- Start preparation and take the GRE & TOEFL exams according to fall/ spring semester application deadlines.
- Choose 6-10 universities that accept the score you have in your GRE/TOEFL and your academic Percentage and whose cost of education falls within your budget. (Also read: Top universities in the US)
- Ensure that your chosen course is accredited. Accreditation is the certificate that ensures that a school or program meets a prescribed academic standards.
- For admission to an MS programme in the US, ensure that all your following documents are in order:
- Demand Draft/Bank cheque for Application fee (in case you have not paid the fee)
- A copy of your GRE/ TOEFL/ GMAT/IELTS Score
- Official transcripts of your Bachelors degree from your college/ university
- SSC/ICSE/10th or Equivalent Certificate
- HSC/ISC/12th or Equivalent Certificate
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Getting 2-3 letters of recommendation (usually from your professors)
- A well-written resume
- Bank statement
- Work Experience/ Study Certificate
- Copy of first and last pages of your passport
- Copies and proofs of all your relevant extra curricular activities
- Keep tracking the application to all 5-6 universities
Academic Calendar: Please click here for MS academic calendar