Science vs Arts
The debate of Science Vs Arts and which one outwits the other is an eternal one. If science is about fact, art is about fiction and debates. If Science delves into the world and beyond, Arts is about searching within. Well does this debate sound an interesting one! However, for many reading the article, this debate will hardly make any sense and instead I would be asked to not even probe it further. Why? For a few ‘ignorant’ ones the debate hardly makes any sense in India.
Most of the students either have aspirations of becoming an engineer, scientist or a doctor and therefore have no choice but to opt for science stream at the 10+2 level. Some opt for science voluntarily, others have it thrust upon them while still others choose it since it’s the happening stream in India and friends have opted for it.
Also read: Science vs. Commerce
Benefits of Studying Science
- Studying science equips a student with essential skills that make them employable
- Students can opt for professional streams like engineering and medicine after the +2 level
- A sound foundation in science at this level can help a student crack competitive exams like banking, civil services, MBA entrance exams
- A student will be at an advantage to discover and invent things that would be beneficial to the society at large
- Science subjects like Biology teaches us how living things work, Physics enlightens us with the working of the universe and Chemistry helps us with the knowledge of various chemical processes and how they can be utilized.
On the other hand, Humanities or Arts is a lesser known cousin of Science. There are very few students who voluntarily opt of Humanities as a stream after Class 12. Most of them are discouraged by their parents and their peers. Out of the remaining who still opt for Humanities or Arts as a stream after Class 12, do so because of they have not been able to mange a seat in either the Science or Arts stream.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Benefits of Studying Arts
- Studying Arts or Humanities help a student develop powers of analysis and expression.
- Though the study of arts may not make you directly employable, it prepares you for future jobs that require good communication skills, logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Many employers prefer people from Humanities background because not only do they have the ability to work independently and analytically but they are also experts in collecting information and writing clearly and coherently.
- The plethora of subjects that a student gets to study under Humanities stream is huge. Subjects like Geography, Philosophy, History, Sociology, and Political Science open a wide variety of career options.
|Includes study of subjects like Geography, Philosophy, History, Sociology, and Political Science||Includes study of subjects like Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Biology|
|Average grades in Class 10 can help you seek admission in the Humanities stream in 10+2||You need to have good grades in Class 10 and equally good marks in Mathematics to secure a seat in 10+2|
|Less scope of joining a professional career and have to pursue a Bachelor’s degree. However, one can always a vocational course or pursue his or her interests simultaneously||Appear for competitive exams and start a professional career like engineering or medicine|
|You cannot make a shift to other streams like Science or Commerce after Class 12||You can make a shift to other streams Commerce or Arts after Class 12