The study of goods and services that are brought and consumed by any two or more parties; whether individual, institutions or governments; and the science of optimizing the benefits thereof, is economics.
Image courtesy: http://www.aimtexas.com
The goal is to apply the principles of this subject to various processes such as production, distribution, consumption and behaviour.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Courses and Eligibility Criteria
The study of economics begins quite early, in class IX, in most Indian schools. But to get into an honour programme at the Bachelor level requires high performances at the Xth and XIIth. The pressure of establishing careers in economics only increases at the post-graduate and doctoral levels.
Jobs in economics may be found in both in private and public sector.
Opportunities may be found in:
- Government enterprises
- Financial institutions like banks and investment firms
- Publishing bodies like business journals and economics magazines
- The Indian Economics Services (officer recruitment through the Union Public Service Commission; written examinations in English, General Studies, General Economic and Indian Economics can be taken by 21 – 28 year olds, followed by an interview. The exams are in September; the results are out in March.)
- RBI (21-28 year olds can take the exam; selection will be after personal interview)
- If you have a knack for writing you can also work as business or an economic writer in business journals and newspapers.
A career in economics isn’t limited to the technical.
A postgraduate or a PhD holder in Economics can also take up teaching as a career option. There are large numbers of colleges in India appointing these individuals as faculty member in their economics dept. on full time/part time basis. There are offered hand some pay package with other perks and benefits.
There are a large number of colleges and universities in India offering Bachelors and masters degree programs in economics. The famous institutes for economics in India are listed below.
Delhi 110007, India
- Delhi School of Economics(University of Delhi)
Phone: (011) 2766 7540, (011) 2766 7725 Ext. 1531
Fax: +91-11-2766 7159
Course: B.Sc Economics
- Presidency College, Kolkata
- Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi - 110067
- University of Delhi, South Campus, New Delhi
- University of Bombay, Bombay - 600032
- University of Agricultural Science, Bangalore
- Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta - 700035
- SRCC, New Delhi
- St. Stephen College (DU), New Delhi
- Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, Orissa