As the name suggests is the person who shapes the experience of interior space, through the spatial manipulation as well as surface treatment. Interior designer relies heavily on psychology of his/ her client, architecture, product contours, and obviously the type of furniture.
Therefore, he needs that extra dash of creativity, imaginativeness and artistic touch. He must be able to combine pragmatic convenience with aesthetic abilities.
With the growth in nuclear families space has acquired a premium here, steps in the interior designer with a magic wand in his hands, to keep everybody happy; to carve out individual space gelled with a communitarian identity.
Interior design is a creative practice that analyzes programmatic information, establishes a conceptual direction, refines the design direction, and produces graphic communication and construction documents.
Interior Designing Eligibility Criteria
- Age- No Age Limit.
- Educational Qualifications – Preferably graduation preferably be a graduate. up followed by a diploma in Interior Design. You can also enroll yourself at CEPT (Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology) Ahmedabad that offers postgraduate programmes in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Planning, Housing, Construction and Project Management.
- All these programmes are approved by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad; School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, Sir J. J. School of Arts, Mumbai are some of the other institutes offering courses in interior designing.
- An interior designer has to keep a track of the latest trends in the market like Vaastu or Fengshui or the theme of modern minimalism.
Interior Designing Skills & Attributes
- A good interior designer is also a good researcher who carefully studies the client’s needs and objectives. At the same time the aesthetic beauty of the place should prop up.
- He should be an able communicator as well who is able to negotiate with the client the nessecity and scope of the design project.
- Should be a good dreamer. Able to conceive design plans
- An Interior Designer should design requirements to meet health, safety, accessibility, environmental and sustainability and building guidelines.
- A good interior designer performs spatial management with ease.
- A good interior designer is an excellent coordinator coordinating between builder and tradespersons to perform work according to design specifications and requirements
- A good interior designer believes in the maxim of ‘Best out of Waste’.
- A good interior designer always keeps track of the budgetary considerations.
- A good interior designer should be flexible in approach and technology friendly. With the increasing use of technology in the field of interior designing, the job of interior designing has become more rewarding.
Interior Designing Job Prospects
- Job prospects are excellent in the field of interior designing. There are three types of jobs in this field.
- Immediately after the completion of his course an interior designer can join an established architect, an architect firm or a construction firm.
- Alternatively a fresh interior designer can work for media house working in the field of interior designing.
- To start with an interior designer can also start freelancing or his own firm which is rewarding and most satisfying. A good interior designer can start off in the pay bracket of Rs.10000-15000 per month.
Interior Designing Institutes
Plot No.9, malviya nagar Institutional Area
- Arch Institute of fashion and Design / Arch Gemology & Jewellery Institute
Malviya Nagar , Jaipur, Rajasthan
Phone: 0141-2702163, 3096203
Web Site: www.archedu.org
1, Shambhu Nath Pandit street,
- Anima Institute of Fashion
Tel : 2231485/4725717,
54, Tughlakabad,Institutional Area,
- Apeejay Institute of Design
Mehrauli Badarpur Road,
New Delhi 110 062
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science & higher Education for women
Phone - 0422 - 2443620, 0422 - 2441252,
5-A Sarat Bose Road (opp.Minto Park),
- Birla Institute of Liberal Arts and Management Sciences
Culcutta 700 020
PHONE: 2240-4558, 2247-1271
No.7, P.V.Koli Street,
- College of Arts and Design
Aminjikarai, Chennai 600029
826, Shukrawar Peth,
- CREATIONS - The School of Design and Technology
Gadikhana Chowk, Pune
Phone : +91 0 9422324278
Phase I,Sr. No. 612 - 615,
- Creative -iCollege of Creative Arts Ganga Dham Comm.
Lullanagar Bibwewadi Road, Market Yard,
Pune 411 037.
Tel. No. : 020-24209166 / 77 / 88 / 99
- Exterior - Interiors
Kalkaji, New Delhi 110019
2nd floor, Dhondusa Complex,
- Exteriors Interiors P Limited
9 Residency Rd,
Bangalore - 560025, Karnataka
102 Richmond Road,
Bangalore - 560025
Phone- 91 - 80 - 2221 9497 / 2222 9073
Powai, Mumbai – 400076,
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
Dr. D. N. Road,
- JJ School of Arts
Fort, Mumbai-400 001,
NIFD Campus,,2-B, Madhya Marg, Sector 27,
- National Institute of Fashion Design
Chandigarh - 160 019
Phone -657958, Phone : +91- (172) - 2784 980-81
49, New Marine lines,
- Nirmala Niketan
(Tel. 2206 7345)
Karavali group of colleges,
- Karavali College
N.H.-17, Near Kottara Chowki Junction,
Phone : 0824 2452931, 2458220, 2458861/62
278,shankar Ghanekar Marg,
- Rachna Sansad, School of Interior design
Mumbai- 400 025
Arvindbhai Patel,Institute of Environmental Design,
- School of Interior Design
Vallabh Vidyanagar 388120
Gujarat - .Phone : 91 2692 37586 / 37301
- Shree Devi College of interior Design
Kasturbhai Lalbhai Campus,
- School of Interior Design
University Rd, Navrangpura,
Ahmedabad - 380009
Phone: 91-79-630 6652,
Fax: 91-79-630 2075
Mt. Poinsur, Borvili (West),
- St. Francis Institute of Art and Design
6/3, 1st Main Road,
- School of Interior Design
Bangalore - 560052, Karnataka
Nathibai Thackersey Road,
- SNDT Women's University
New Marine Lines,Mumbai 400 020,
Phone: 2085439; 2072792
B.K somani Polytechnic,
- Sophiya College
Bhalubhai desai Road,
- South Delhi Polytechnic for women
Phone ( Office ) : 26294833, 26294836, 26482298
Architecture and Education,
E-314A, Basement, Sector-27,
Tel: + 91 120 3959 303