Polymer Engineering - Educational Information, Career Prospects and Salary
Polymer Engineering and Technology is a rapidly growing field in India and abroad; Image Courtesy: kcetvnr.org
Polymer Engineering is based on the theory and knowledge of chemical engineering in solving various problems involving the production and use of polymers. Principles of plant design, process design, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena are used to develop new products.
Polymer engineers supervise the production process of plastics and other polymers and this supervision involves plastic moulders and technicians to carry out the shop floor manufacturing processes.
In recent times, it has become the most rapidly growing sector of the materials industry and quite obviously the number of people working in this field has also increased two-fold.
- 10+2 Science with Physics, Chemistry and Maths are eligible to apply for a degree in Polymer Engineering.
- Selection process begins with an entrance examination at state and national level.
- M.Tech in Polymer engineering/technology can be pursued if the candidate has a B.Tech /BE degree in Polymer Engineering, Plastic Technology, Rubber Technology and/or Mechanical Engineering.
- A MSc degree in Chemistry or Physics makes a candidate eligible for the M.Tech program in Polymer Engineering.
- Candidates who have qualified in the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) exam will get an advantage for admission to the M.Tech courses in most of the elite institutions in India.
|Application Forms Now Available|
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation India (ONGC) has job openings for polymer engineers in India
Career and Job Prospects
There are a lot of career and job prospects in both the public and private sectors for polymer engineers.
Polymer Manufacturing and User Industry: As a production supervisor, quality control inspector, production planner, mould designer, etc.
- Public and Private Sectors: Plastics, automotive, electronic, aerospace, power transmission and other related manufacturing industries.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas, Oil and Natural Gas Commission, and Oil India Laboratories, petrochemicals engineering plants, Indian Institute of petroleum, polymers corporations of different states, petroleum conservation, Research Association of India, Petrofiles Cooperative Limited and other such organizations.
- Research and Development, processing, quality control, technical support and sales, design and manufacture of molds, training, management and related activities. The opportunities for polymer engineers are available both in private and public sectors.
In India, the polymer and petrochemical sectors have been identified as ‘high Priority’ sectors, owing to the fact that polymers play an important role in providing the basic necessities for everyday use, while conserving the scarce natural resources.
The average salary of a fresh polymer engineering graduate depends on the type of employer – public or private.
The starting salary of a B.Tech holder varies somewhere between Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 15,000 per month excluding other allowances in the public sector while in the private sector the starting salary is somewhere between Rs. 9000 and Rs. 12000 per month.
Work experience, qualifications, performance are important factors in determining the salary hike.
Senior polymer engineers with over five years of working experience can earn anywhere from Rs. 35,000 to Rs. 80,000 per month.
Hindustan College of Engineering, Chennai is one of the top ranked colleges for Polymer Engineering and Technology; Image Courtesy: brainybatch.com
Top 10 Colleges/Institutes for Polymer Engineering 2017
|1||Hindustan College of Engineering Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|3||Kamaraj College of Engineering and Technology||Tamil Nadu|
|4||Central Institute of Plastic Engineering and Technology||Andhra Pradesh|
|5||BS Abdur Rahman University||Tamil Nadu|
|7||Birla Institute of Technology||Jharkhand|
|8||University of Calcutta||West Bengal|
|9||Delhi Technological University||Delhi|
|10||Cochin University of Science and Technology||Kerala|
State Wise List of Engineering Colleges