Law as a Career in India
In the words of Thomas Jefferson "The study of the law is useful in a variety of points of view. It qualifies a man to be useful to himself, to his neighbors, and to the public"
Law as a profession is in great demand these days. Due to the changing social and economic circumstances and the ever-increasing regulatory role being undertaken by the government there is a rising demand for the lawyers. Besides being financially lucrative, Law is an adventurous and exciting career option.
Lawyers are held in high esteem in our society, and there remains the faith that when everything else fails, one can still take the path of legal system. In our daily life in one way or other we may come across situations where legal advice is required. In such situation we need the advice of legal professionals who analyze and interpret law properly.
Lawyers advice clients about their legal rights and recommend course of action in a meticulous manner. They also counsel clients and pre legal documents, such as wills and contracts and conduct negotiations on legal matters, and may represent clients in court and tribunal proceedings.
Academic excellence does not count for success in this profession. Professional competency acquired through experience and practice with lawyers is the main benchmark of success.
There are various areas of specialization in this field which one can choose from like :
- Civil Law
- Criminal Law
- Corporate Law
- Taxation Law
- Labor Law
- International Law
- Family Law
- Constitutional Law
- Administration Law
- Patent Law etc.
Pros and Cons of a Lawyer
Application Forms Now Available
- Opportunity o work on a variety of legal issues
- It is a rewarding job both in terms of the perks you get and respect among clients
- Secured job especially if you are working as a corporate lawyer or for some institution
- Exciting job as boredom will never settle as you will be fighting different cases each time
- You might end up making many enemies while fighting for several cases
- Extremely demanding job especially as you go higher up the rank as you will be fighting many cases simultaneously
- Long working hours with tight deadlines
- Very competitive for senior lawyers
Campus recruitment at prestigious law colleges start as high as Rs 35,000 to Rs 40,000 per month. The sky is the limit as you rise up the ranks.
Law Entrance Exams:
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)
Institutes like Symbiosis Society Law College and Amity Law School among others conduct their individual entrance exams.
Know: How to prepare for CLAT
Law Schools / Institutes in India
- NLSIU, Bangalore
- NALSAR, Hyderabad
- NLIU, Bhopal
- NUJS, Kolkata
- NLU, Jodhpur
- HNLU, Raipur
- GNLU, Gandhinagar
- Faculty of Law, Delhi University, Delhi
- Symbiosis Society’s Law College, Pune
- ILS Law College, Pune
- Government Law College, Mumbai
For a comprehensive list of top Law Colleges in India, click here
Law Entrance Exam Syllabus
- English including Comprehension
- General Knowledge/ Current Affairs
- Elementary Mathematics
- Legal Aptitude/Legal Awareness
- Logical Reasoning
Where can you work
- You can assist any senior lawyer and gain some fruitful experience
- You can join a corporate or an institution and work as their official lawyer
For a comprehensive understanding of Law as a career, click here.