Career in Hotel Management
One of the significant outcomes of globalization is the tremendous growth in the tourism and hospitality industry. With India being one of the most popular travel destinations, the government too is encouraging and investing in the development of these industries.
The hotel industry is a crucial part of the hospitality industry with a huge growth potential in the near future.The demand for hotel management professionals is already huge and is expected to grow more with the increasing number of hotels being set up in India and all over the world. Apart from its glamour, a career in hotel management has become lucrative and exciting, attracting more and more students to opt for it.
Hotel management jobs include multiple skills like food and beverage service, front office operation,sales and marketing, accounting etc. Many government colleges and private institutes in India offer certificate, diploma or degree courses in hotel management.
Also Read: All About Hotel Management Courses
- Minimum qualification necessary for a hotel management course is 10+2. Depending on the cost and duration of the course, one can opt for a certificate ,diploma or degree course.
- Certificate courses can be of six months to one year duration, a diploma of two years and a degree course of three year duration.
- Selection for government recognized colleges and institutes is done through the common entrance test held in April every year. The test consists of multiple choice questions in English, Reasoning, General Science and General knowledge.
(Also read: Hotel management entrance exam, NCHMCT JEE)
- A group discussion and personal interview is conducted further to assess the personality and aptitude of the candidate before he is finally selected for the hotel management course. Private institutes too conduct tests along the same lines for selecting candidates.
Candidates need to be hardworking and should possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to handle disputes or criticism with patience. He/she should be co-operative ,polite and respectful towards guests in all situations.
**Did You Know? There has been update to the TOEFL test. Now you can finish the TOEFL test faster than ever!
There are many exciting jobs opportunities for hotel management graduates with the increasing competition in the hotel industry. Since a hotel has many departments such as Operations, Front Office, Food and Beverages, Accounting, Sales and Marketing, Engineering/ Maintenance, Security etc. one can opt for a field of their liking and pursue a career and successfully grow in it.
Apart from jobs in Hotels and restaurants, hotel management diploma holders /graduates can find good jobs in:
- Airline Catering (flight kitchen) and Cabin Services
- Club management
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Hotel and Tourism Associations (for eg: state tourism development corporations)
- Hospitality services in the Indian Navy
- Hospitality services in various MNCs
- Forest Lodges
- Guest Houses, resorts
- Kitchen Management (in hotels or running canteens in college, schools, in factories, company guest houses etc.)
- Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies etc.
- Hotel and catering institutes (as a management trainee/ marketing or sales executive)
- Self employment (as an entrepreneur)
Career opportunities as a Chef
Upon completion of a diploma or degree course in Hotel Management, one can get in to the industry as a trainee and then be absorbed into various positions after completing the training. The entry level salary of a Hotel Management graduate can be around Rs.7000 to Rs.10,000 and can increase with growing experience in the field.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition
Veer Savarkar Marg, Dadar (W), Mumbai 400 028.
Phone : (022) 2445 7241/42, 2446 9152, 2446 9143
Fax : (022) 2444 9779
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.ihmctan.edu/
- SRM Institute of Hotel and Catering Management
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management (run by the Taj Group of Hotels) Aurangabad
Dr Rafiq Zakaria Campus, Rauza Bagh
Phone : 0240–238 1113, 0240–2381127
Fax : 0240–2381104
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.ihma.ac.in, www.ihmaurangabad.ac.in
- The India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC), New Delhi
C-12/A, Qutab Instutional Area,
New Delhi - 110016
Telefax : 26961844
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Management
WGSHA, Valley View International
Manipal - 576104
Phone : 0820 2571101
Fax : 2571327
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.manipal.edu
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, New Delhi
Chandiwala Estate, Maa Anandmai Marg,
Kalkaji, New Delhi-110019
Phone : 6826205
Fax : 91-11-6826231
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.chandiwalaestate.com
- The Oberoi School of Hotel Management
Oberoi School of Hotel Management,
7 Shamnath Marg, near ISBT Delhi.
Phone : +91-11-2389 0505
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.oberoihotels.com/careers
- National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Pusa, New Delhi
Library Avenue, Pusa Complex,
New Delhi - 110 012
Phone : 011- 5787411, 5732429
Website : http://www.nchmct.org/
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
Behind Lady Sri Ram College, Lajpat Nagar IV
Phone : 26435883
Fax : 26422174
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Delhi - 110006, India
Phone : 23900166, 23900167, 23900168, 23900100
Fax : 23865941, 23900111
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.ipu.ac.in
- Lakshya Bhartee Institute of International Hotel Management
B- 98, Pushpanjali, Enclave,
Outer Ring Road, Pitampura, Delhi 110034
Phone : 55155113
Fax : 27011495
Email : email@example.com
- New Delhi YMCA offers one year Diploma in Hotel & Catering Management
Jai Singh Road, New Delhi-110001
Phone : 0091-11-23361915, 3746668
Fax : 0091-11-23746035
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.newdelhiymca.org
- Rai University, Delhi
A- 41, MCIE, Mathura Road
New Delhi - 110044
Contact Person - Mahesh Kapoor
Phone : 011- 41560000, 41570000.26991300, 32409738
Mobile : 9810146504, 9810299522
Fax : (011) 2695 9999
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://raiuniversity.edu/
- Anand Institute of Management Science (AIMS), Anand
Vidyanagar-Vadtal Road,Behind SP University Maidan,
Near Charotar Gas, Dist: Anand,
Bakrol-388 315, Gujarat
Phone : 02692-239246, 02692-239247, (M) 09374639738
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.aims.ac.in
State Wise List of Management Institutes in India
For your reference we are giving you a state-wise list of management institutes in India. Please click on the links given below to find list of management institutes in that particular state/UT/city.
Management Institutes in Major Cities
Management Institutes in Various States