CBSE Class 12 Geography Preparation Tips
What is Geography?
Geography is an extremely broad discipline that tries to map and describe both, the physical features of the Earth, like mountains, and its human features, such as the borders of countries or distributions of religions. Geography is divided into two branches which focuses on each separately – human geography and physical geography.
Important topics for CBSE Class 12 Exam for Geography
The Geography paper is divided into 3 parts. 30 marks are allocated to practical work, while 35 marks each for part A - Fundamentals of Human Geography and part B - India: People and Economy. Part A and part B have a total of 12 chapters. Some important chapters are mentioned below.
- Transport, Communication & Trade
- Human settlements
- Human activities
- Transport, Communication and International Trade
- Resources and Development
- Geographical Perspective on selected issues and problems
Marks allocation for CBSE class 12 exam for Geography
- Resources and Development – 12 marks
- Transport, Communication and International Trade – 10 marks
- Human settlements – 10 marks
- Transport, Communication and International Trade – 7 marks
- People, from both, part A and part B - 5 marks each
Though these are the marking trends, you should devote equal time to each section.
Tips for preparing for CBSE class 12 exam for Geography
- Try to know geography, practically. If reading about a landform, if possible, visit that place to know the place and people.
- Try to seek as much as possible about what you are studying by finding more about the culture, climate, environment, landscape, people, economy and history of a particular place over the internet.
- Focus on chapters like Resource and development, human activities and transport, communication & trade.
- You can make flash cards with definitions of the new terms that you learn each day.
- Use the flash cards while traveling, during your lunch break or even 5 minutes before your dinner break.
- Try to write the definitions in your own language without altering the meaning.
- Solve all the miscellaneous solved and unsolved questions too. Solve the Sample Papers available on CBSE website.
Tips for scoring good marks for CBSE class 12 exam for Geography
- During the exam, try to write your descriptive answers in points and give pictorial or graphical illustrations wherever possible. It enhances visibility
- Scan the paper before answering.
- For long answer type questions, before starting, frame a skeleton of the answer in the margin.
- Be crisp and to the point in very short questions.
Recommended NCERT books
Fundamentals of Human Geography, NCERT – Rs 65.00
Practical Work in Geography—Part II Rs. 65.00
Sample papers provided by CBSE, which are available on the CBSE website.
To know more about which books to follow, Click Here