In India, IITs are the hallowed institutes of academic merit and destinations for young, brilliant minds. And this year, the budget for setting up 6 new IITs between 2015 and 2019, has been approved by our cabinet, so that an additional 1080 engineering seats can be offered to potential candidates, apart from the 10,000 existing ones. IIT Palakkad which has already started functioning in 2015, is one of them and is situated at the gateway of Kerala with 500 acres of land at its disposal, for a modern campus to come up in the next few years.
Currently, the temporary facilities of the institute at the Ahaliya Integrated Campus, can meet the requirements of both students and the faculty very efficiently. Well-equipped classrooms, library, laboratories, auditorium, computer room, provision of hostels for boys and girls, dining, sports and medical facilities make it a safe and nurturing nest for all aspiring minds. No wonder, successful students will fly high when the first batch passes out in 2019.
Mentor - IIT Madras
Indian Institute of Technology, Palakkad, is being mentored by Professor Bhaskar Ramamurthi, the Director of IIT Madras. According to him, IIT Madras has worked with the state government and MHRD to come up with the appropriate land for establishing and running the temporary campus till the new one is built. They have also ensured that all crucial infrastructures are in place along with faculty members and administrative staff who are in charge of handling all aspects of the institute and hostel.
IIT Madras has previously mentored IIT Hyderabad and has sufficient experience to guide IIT Palakkad in the right direction. At present, to guarantee that every student receives undivided attention from his teacher, this new institute has started its journey with 4 core branches of study and a total of 120 seats.
The faculty comprises of those who are already engaged with IIT Madras or have recently retired. Some of them have been Deans and Head of Departments and have both national and international accomplishments to their name. The hiring process of permanent faculty will progress in due course.
Courses being offered
There are 4 streams of B. Tech courses being offered in Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. There are 30 seats for each stream and each course encompasses 8 semesters equally distributed over 4 years. The academic session for 2015 has already started from July. You can also peruse the curriculum of first 2 semesters, academic calendar and timetable in details on the institute's website.
A B.Tech program will broadly include:
- Basic and engineering sciences, engineering arts, humanities and mathematics.
- An engineering core program that will familiarize you with the foundations of engineering in your specific branch.
- An elective program where you can opt for courses which interest you.
- A project approved by your particular department.
- You also have to satisfactorily complete the prescribed NCC or NSO or NSS programs.
To apply to IIT Palakkad for any of the 4 streams, you have to satisfy all 3 conditions as mentioned below:
- You have to pass your final 10+2 examination conducted by a recognized Central or State Board, like Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi or Council for Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi or any other equivalent public board examination.
- You should be among the top 1, 50,000 in JEE Main of the respective year, all categories included.
- You should either be a) within the category wise top 20 percentile of successful candidates in your 12th standard or equivalent board examination or b) you have to secure 75% (for General or OBC non-creamy layer) or 70% (for SC or ST or PWD) of aggregate marks in your 12th standard or equivalent board examination.
The Joint Admission Board will then finally prepare a merit list based on your performance, choice of stream and seat availability. The more detailed admission procedure can be viewed on the IIT Palakkad website.
The temporary campus is situated 23km from Palakkad Railway Station and 50km from Coimbatore International Airport.
Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad,
Ahalia Integrated Campus, Kozhippara P. O,
Palakkad, Kerala, Pin: 678557
Phone for Director's Office: 04923 226 501