WAT Topics for MBA 2018 Admissions
In India, IIMs hold the prestigious position of being the best institutions from which to pursue MBA studies and launch a successful career in business management and administration.
Many MBA aspirants dedicate months of study to clearing MBA entrance exams to pave their way to study at the IIM of their choice. Countless institutions provide coaching and mock test rounds to prepare students to easily tackle the questions and also to manage their time efficiently. In recent years, Written Ability Test (WAT) or Essay Writing Test have become popular at the IIMs and are usually followed by the Personal Interview (PI) round. This is in line with the admissions policy employed by the best B-Schools around the world.
The WAT-PI stage of the admissions process can have 30 to 70 percent value in the overall score. WAT topics differ from one IIM to another but are on the whole meant to gauge a student's comprehension ability and command over language. This article lists some of the most popular WAT topics used by IIMs in the entrance exams and also examines which topics should be prepared by students for the upcoming MBA entrance exams to the IIMs and other prestigious B-Schools.
IIMs & Other MBA Colleges Using WAT (Writing Ability Test)
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Management Indore
- Indian Institute of Management Shillong
- Indian Institute of Management Rhotak
- Indian Institute of Management Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Management Raipur
- Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli
- Indian Institute of Management Udaipur
- Indian Institute of Management Kashipur
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR) - (psychometric test + written communication test for MBA admissions 2017-19)
- International Management Institute (IMI)
WAT Essay Topics
Here's a look at some of the essay topics that have been a part of the selection process in various IIMs and other MBA colleges in the previous years:
- Business and ethics don't go hand in hand these days.
- Financial crisis in Europe
- The recent financial crisis highlights the perils of Capitalism
- Women's Reservation Bill
- Banning politicians with criminal records from contesting elections is against their right
- India versus Bharat: a divided nation
- Union Budget is a useless exercise and activities like recession put it off-track
- Essential services like water, electricity should not be privatized
- Is disinvestment in profit making PSU's advisable?
- Should Petroleum Subsidy go away?
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Discuss the role of Public Private Partnership in India's Economic Growth
- Voting should be made compulsory
- IIM should make one year of social service compulsory for all students
- Should there be reservation for women in MBA colleges?
- Bollywood is capitalizing on people with disabilities
- In India mass mobilization can only be achieved through religion
- IPL is a death knell to Indian cricket
- Legalizing doping in sports in modern times
- Cricket is cannibalizing the space of other sports in India
- The greatest tennis star of all time
- Vishwanathan Anand is as good a brand ambassador as Sachin Tendulkar
WAT Topics to be Prepared: IIM Admissions 2017 - 2019
While one can't predict what topic(s) you will get for your essay but it is wise to stay in touch with all current events and the biggest stories of the year. Some of these were:
- Management Lessons from Narendra Modi
- Social Media and Politics
- Rail Budget
- Mangalyaan - Making India a Science & Technology Superpower
- The rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria
- Peshawar school attack
- Ebola outbreak
- The creation of Telangana state
- Communal flare ups in India - conversions, Ghar Waapsi, Saharanpur riots
- Unrest in Ukraine
- Disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight, MH370
If you have a comprehensive understanding of the issues that made headlines in 2017, you will be able to comfortably write on most topics.